Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL Meteorology question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

latest edition met book

• rossy
  • Topic Author

rossy created the topic: latest edition met book

Hi bob, i'm currently studying met and ive found what i think is a typo, unless i just cant figure it all out properly... in the issue 5, june 2010 book on page 5.10 the question im referring to asks what the approx qnh at perth would be. Now according to the synoptic chart on the bottom of the page the isobar that appears to run almost directly over perth has 1012 written on it, so how is it possible to come up with an answer of 1022? Halfway between 1020 and 1024. If the question asked for the approx qnh at adelaide, then i feel that would be the right answer, but not in this case.

Thanks in advance for your explanation.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Mickyd86

Mickyd86 replied the topic: Re: latest edition met book

Hi Rossy,

I also had the same problem when I read that question in an earlier edition (08 I think). I have a feeling I also got the same answer as you, so I too would be interested to see what the correct answer really is :)

Hows the study going?

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Re: latest edition met book

Yes it looks like you're correct. That is a boo-boo. I'm amazed that it has gone so long with nobody else mentioning it. I have changed the answer to 1012 in the next print of the book.

Thanks for the feed-back. Much appreciated.....

• rossy
  • Topic Author

rossy replied the topic: Re: latest edition met book

Thanks for checking that out for me, i thought i was correct but didnt expect you to have the incorrect answer published. i have no doubt that something so small could easily creep into the books without being picked up. It's nothing major...

Mickd86, Hi, it seems we are both on the same wave length then. Haha. How is your study comming along? I have only completed AGK thus far and scored 85 in that. Once again, as im sure youve heard before from others, i feel as though i had a better understanding of the subject but felt that a few of the questions were worded strangely. Although im reasonably happy as i have not completed a casa exam in a number of years so not used to the games they often play with questions. Got MET next week so will keep you all updated. Not sure what to do next. Any ideas?

• Mickyd86

Hi Rossy,
Great result with AGK!
Yeah the study is going well thanks, am just about to start Perf... :ohmy:
I have both that and Nav to go.
Not really sure what one to suggest you study next! Why not try Perf :)
Hows the preperations going for MET? If you haven't already, make sure you study up on ARFORS and the WAC for the route between YSWG - YSCB - YMER as it appears on the exam in the 2 mark questions a fair bit.

• rossy
  • Topic Author

Ah, ive heard performance is probably the hardest but put in the time and you will be fine. How long did you study for each subject? ay wel give perf a go next, atleast that way it will be done sooner rather than later. With regards to the wac route between yswg yscb and ymer, is ymer even on the sydney wac or is it just below. Not sure if i have the current one here or not at the minute but the lowest it shows is Moruya? Thanks in advance for your reply, and thanks for the heads up re the route.

• captainellzy

captainellzy replied the topic: Re: latest edition met book

Hi rossy,

Just jumping back up the thread a bit, I did think that Perth QNH answer was strange!?! But never really thought twice about it, good pick up. YMER isn't on the Sydney WAC but appears on the PCA which you'll be looking at too during Met.

Good luck to you and Micky with Performance, maybe you can follow my thread on the Perf forum so you really know what you're up for (of course the study book gives you a good idea of that too...), I'm currently up to fail #2 and WILL NOT (read: CAN NOT) fail it again!

Cheers :laugh:

• Mickyd86

Hi Rossy,

I had pleanty of time to study each subject whilst in my current job, so I just took about 4 weeks for each. Thats for Aero, Human Perf, Gen Know, Air Law and MET. Quite possible to study most of them in 2ish weeks, I guess it all depends on how quickly you take it all in! :)
I am allowing 4-5 weeks for Perf though.

And backing up what Captainellzy said. Yep YMER isn't on the SYD WAC. You don't really need the WAC for the the YSCB - YMER route. The exam mainly focuses on the YSWG - YSCB route. Oh I also had a question departing from Bowral to YSCB, asking what the lowest cloud base was along that route. So have a quick look at the Ranges/Slopes along that route too (just incase you get that question!)

Sounds good that you will be doing Perf next... Be good to have a few of us on this forum doing the same subject! Hopefully it helps:)

Cheers!

• rossy
  • Topic Author

thanks for your info guys, ive been going over everything and have only found a couple of things im struggling with. in the first practice test, q 13 i cant really see how the qnh at 0200 is 1001 and not 1000. Surely it could be either right because the qnh either side of the hh+3 hh+6 hh+9 is valid for ninety min either side? Probably easy for someone to explain but just confused coz its exactly 0200.

The other one is for q16 in the same test. answer B seems to make sense to me. No where on the area 22 forecast does it say anything about vis being 10km to begin with, or is just assumed that this is the case ? all it has written under visibility in the forecast is 4000m sh/dz/ts

Hope someone can explain these to problems to me.

Many thanks, and i'll be sure to let you know how i go in my exam.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Re: latest edition met book

I'm not sure exactly what question you are referring to in the QNH question but I have attached an extract from the latest print of the Met book that deals with that topic.

As far as the ARFOR is concerned, if the visibility is given as 4000m sh/dz/ts it doesn't mean that the visibility throughout the entire area is 4000 m. It means that the visibility will be 4000 m if you are in the showers, dizzle or thunderstorms, but otherwise it will be 10 km or better.

Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.220 seconds