Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× If you are studying for your BAK or PPL exams and need some help, please post your question here. Someone on the forum is bound to help you as soon as they can.

Just got my PPL. Now what?

• pilot1day
  • Topic Author

pilot1day created the topic: Just got my PPL. Now what?

I finally got my PPL after 4 years of on again, off again, training.

I want to continue my training on a casual basis, and need some advice on the best approach to do so.

I'm thinking I'll do NVFR first - seems like an easier one to knock over, then maybe Multi, CSU, and Retractable all in one go in a dutchie.

Can you do IREX without a CPL? And if so, is there any different types of IREX for PPL and CPL or is it a one size fits all thing?

I'll be knocking over the CPL exams over the next year, but the actual CPL license isn't a huge priority right now.

Here's a summary of my log book:
Dual - 92.9, Command - 17.5, Instrument 1.7 Flight, 2.2 Sim

I'll obviously be doing some Nav's with friends / family in between any training. I'm just unsure what's the best approach.

Any help would be much appreciated :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Re: Just got my PPL. Now what?

Congratulations on achieving your PPL. We all look back on that as a highlight of our flying history.

I think your plan for future qualifications is a good one and I recommend you go that way.

There is such a thing as a PIFR which allows you to operate in IMC but is limited to private operations. This rating is done in modules beginning with en-route IFR which allows you to fly in IMC but only above lowest safe altitude en-route. You can then add IFR departures and approaches as separate training blocks when you feel you are ready.

However I recommend that you do the full command instrument rating theory exam since this does not expire and it covers you for both PIFR and CIR [the full command instrument rating] should you one day choose to go that way. If you are going to run around in IMC, its a big help to have a full understanding of just what other IFR operators are doing.

You need only a PPL licence to do the PIFR or CIR training [both theory and practical].

You have a long and rewarding road ahead and I wish you every success.

Bob

• brook

brook replied the topic: Re: Just got my PPL. Now what?

Well done pilot1day! Bet you are relieved, and now a whole new bunch of challenges, I hope its a fun journey!

Thanks for your advice Bob on the differences between CIR and PIFR and the differences!

• Daggo

Daggo replied the topic: Re: Just got my PPL. Now what?

Hey mate, I have a PIFR, and IMHO its a waste of time, aside from the fact that it gives you a great grounding for the CIR. But unless you are going to be doing a lot of IMC flying as a private pilot then I would of just gone straight to CIR if I could do my time over again.

If you could afford it, I would do RG, CSU and ME all at the same time, and do MECIR also.

• brook

brook replied the topic: Re: Just got my PPL. Now what?

Thanks Daggo!

Appreciate that advice - I wont worry about PIFR as I know what I want for now.

Probably will do my IFR rating CIR with Flight Safety in the US, they have a lot more ILS facilities and modern aircraft over there, and air services are not as precious about letting you use the facilities as they are here in Oz, which saves a lot of hassle and money, unless I do it with one of the Aussie carriers as a cadet etc.

Brook.

• captainellzy

captainellzy replied the topic: Re: Just got my PPL. Now what?

Whats the go in getting your CIR validated/converted for Australia? Is it just a flight test or something? Probably much cheaper in the US too I'd imagine, even with the strong dollar.

• Richard

Richard replied the topic: Re: Just got my PPL. Now what?

You need to pass the IREX written exam and also the CIR flight test. You can also expect to have at least a few hours of familiarisation training to get you up to speed on any Australian differences.

When I converted my UK ME-IR to an Aussie CIR, a sim session and a couple of trips was all it took.

• pilot1day
  • Topic Author

pilot1day replied the topic: Re: Just got my PPL. Now what?

Thanks for all the info guys,

Can someone explain to me what the difference between CIR and ME-CIR is?

I didn't think having an extra engine would change the way you'd do any instrument flight

Cheers

• captainellzy

captainellzy replied the topic: Re: Just got my PPL. Now what?

By the way, my NVFR was one of the harder things I had to do in my training. Just make sure you don't try work full time while you're doing it!

• Daggo

Daggo replied the topic: Re: Just got my PPL. Now what?

I think it is more to do with engine failure during an instrument approach and engine failures in IMC and so on

Time to create page: 0.120 seconds