Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site. We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

Another Newbie

• RonM
  • Topic Author

RonM created the topic: Another Newbie

Hi all

Just thought I would introduce myself. I am 49yrs and I have just decided to have a crack at flying. It has been a childhood ambition to fly. To be perfectly honest I really didnt think I had the brains to fly. My girlfriend gave me a TIF for my birthday and it has taken off from there so to speak. I now have 3hrs under my belt and I bought your BAK text book which I am about halfway through. It really does make all the difference when you can visualise what is going on from the text book theory . Bob, its a fantastic book and I am soaking every thing up like a sponge , it is so easy to understand. I really look forward to each flying lesson and have a ball. I am totally addicted to flying and everything associated ( just ask my poor suffering girlfriend).I am learning to fly at NSW Air at Albion Park and so far have found the instructors very courteous and helpful.

The website looks great and I'm sure If I have any questions I can find the answers here .

Cheers, Ron.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Re: Another Newbie

Gidday Ron

Great to have you with us. I'm sure you will continue to find fun and satisfaction here in the aviation comunity. I can still remember my early days of learning to fly - and mate, that was a long long time ago in the days of Tiger Moths. It's great to see that there is always a new generation of pilots who are about to take the first steps into the wonderful world of aviation. You are most welcome here and we look forward to hearing more from you as you start the long cliimb. I'm sure you wil enjoy every step. I'm happy to know that you are finding the books helpful. That's what they're for.

• RonM
  • Topic Author

RonM replied the topic: Re: Another Newbie

Thanks for taking the time to reply and for the warm welcome Bob,

I will be glad to let you know of my progress and share my experiences as I go along.

Cheers, Ron.

• brentonrule

brentonrule replied the topic: Welcome to our world

G'day M...

Well you are indeed embarkintg on a wonderful journey. I have bneen flying since I was 16 and am now 59. Just completed all of Bob's study texts and passed all exams for my CPL including IREX. Why, becasue I love it....

I wish you well and if you have passion and commitment (and of course some money) you too will join the ranks of the 'addicted'. Good luck.

• Richard

Richard replied the topic: Re: Another Newbie

Welcome aboard, Ron!

Just as Brenton said, flying can work on you like an addiction, but oh so sweet an addiction it is :-) Who knows where it will lead you in the end but it's a fantastic journey. If you have any questions of problems, just post away and someone will help you out.

See you around!

Cheers,

Rich

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Re: Another Newbie

I thought it was great to see Brenton, as someone who has just 'been through the mill,' offering words of encouragement and welcome to Ron, who is just beginning his flying training. I'm sure I speak for Richard and Lee when I say that gives us all great satisfaction.

• RonM
  • Topic Author

RonM replied the topic: Re: Another Newbie

Thanks for the warm welcome Brenton and Richard,
I really do appreciate being accepted into your community.I really thought I was a bit too far along in life (trying to teach an old dog new tricks)but, as alot of things that have happened in my life over the past couple of years, these opportunities come your way when they are meant to, you can either embrace them or dismiss them, and my life has been so much better because I have embraced them.
Thanks again for the encouragement and support,
Cheers,
Ron.

• brentonrule

brentonrule replied the topic: Is that a Tecnam I see ??

Hi Rob, I see you are in Wollongong. Great part of the world for flying. Is that a Tecnam in your photo? Mate of mine just bought one and we went for a spin from Bairnsdale to Yarrawonga on the Murray River last week. Beautiful little aircraft - but they never want to come down. Unless you get your speeds right on approach, you really have your work cut out. But hey that applies to every aeroplane doesn't it.

Enjoy the journey and we wil no doubt see more of you in these forums as your study progresses.

• RonM
  • Topic Author

RonM replied the topic: Re: Is that a Tecnam I see ??

Hi Brenton,
She is a C152 Cessna that belongs to NSW Air at Albion Park, that is the aircraft that most of the student pilots train in. I will be doing my 3rd lesson on Wednesday.

Cheers,

Ron.

• brentonrule

brentonrule replied the topic: C150

G'day Ron, yes the 150 is a lovely aeroplane - the photo is a bit small so easily confused with the Tecnam (also a 2 seater). I did all my initial flying in a 150 out of Parafield in SA. $16 an hour in those days (ah they were the days). We have one here in Bairnsdale still and it now goes for $150 an hour. I know some clubs are charging up to $200 and hour for them.

The a/c in my photo is a C172RG Cutlass - 130kts @40lph, retractable, constant speed prop. A truly lovely aeroplane. I suspect they would be renting for over $300 per hour up your way. We use this for long distance cruising. Couple of years ago, just for fun we took a 150 on a long trip (Vic/SA) but once you crunch the numbers, these bigger and faster a/c are better value for money.

Stay safe..

Time to create page: 0.122 seconds