Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site. We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

Mid Life Crisis

• sdowd
  • Topic Author

sdowd created the topic: Mid Life Crisis

Hi all,

After getting my PPL in 1988, I have often thought about getting a CPL. The same story of family and business committments not allowing any progress towards this dream. In fact did not fly again until late last year.

Well, now 41 and have run out of excuses. The tipping point was my wife grabbing me by my ears and yelling 'for christ sake stop talking about it and just do it!'

So thanks to Bob's reference book(s) and his online exams I managed a 90% in CPL Flight Rules exam yesterday (actually a little disappointed I got 4 wrong!)

What a buzz! This mid life crisis thing is fantastic!

1 down 6 to go!

Regards

Scott

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Richard

Richard replied the topic: Re: Mid Life Crisis

Hi Scott!

Welcome aboard and good on you for making the leap! A "Midlife Crisis" is the best excuse yet for doing some more training :lol:

Give a shout if we can help at all. Good luck with it!

Cheers Rich

P.S. by the way, what subject are you tackling next?

• Bungee

Bungee replied the topic: Re: Mid Life Crisis

Well done Scott. A similar story myself, although have been flying PPL since 95... Now studying for the CPL and 6 to go too!
Good luck!

• sdowd
  • Topic Author

sdowd replied the topic: Re: Mid Life Crisis

Thanks Richard,

Started Met tonight. Will let you know when I get stuck.

Regards

Scott

• sdowd
  • Topic Author

And to you too Bungee - let me know what order your looking to tackle them.

• Thank you received: 258

bobtait replied the topic: Re: Mid Life Crisis

Gidday Scott

Great to have you on board mate! It can be a steep climb doing the CPL theory by home study while at the same time coping with the demands of business and every day life. My mid-life crisis has continued unabated for the last thirty years! Sure beats working for a living though...

All the best with your aviation adventure. You can be sure of a constant stream of encouragement and assistance from us.

Have fun.

• sdowd
  • Topic Author

Appreciate it Bob - have a great weekend!

• Bungee

Bungee replied the topic: Re: Mid Life Crisis

I started with Human Factors, I was told this was one of the easier topics and would be a good way to get me into the swing of things... I have bought the General Knowledge study guide and plan on booking for the exam in the 2nd week August. I am not sure what I am going to do after that, but will be away for the 2nd half August so my 3rd subject I will tackle in September.

• brentonrule

brentonrule replied the topic: Re: Mid Life Crisis

Hi Scott, and welcome. There are plenty of us who have denied ourselves the joy of the takeoff (and landing) during the 'middle years'. I too had not flown for about twenty years and my darling also said similar words to me - JDI (Just Do It); and I did.

Studying my CPL and have now completed IREX, CPL Law, Aero, Performance. Like you I am now studying Met, then will go on to Nav, HPF, GK.

Thoroughly enjoying the challenge and the fact that I can access Bob and the team via this forum makes the home study so much easier. To be able to share and ask questions is quite gratifying - especially when you get the quality responses from Richard and Bob - they are a certainly the 'best in the business' when it comes to learning this heavy duty curriculum.

I fly out of Bairnsdale in Eastern Victoria so we have all the weather and more that is referred to in Bob's Met book. Hope to knock this one over in the not too distant....

Look forward to seeing your posts as you progress.

• Rhazeltine

Rhazeltine replied the topic: Re: Mid Life Crisis

Hi Scott

You have the same issue as me. Too much work and not enough time to play. I have Gen knowledge and as at today, nav under my belt. Thought I would do human performance next. Have to agree when you expect to only get two wrong and you get 4 wrong it is somewhat annoying. Anyway, 90% is pretty good albeit the knowledge deficiency report by it's very name doesn't claim to pat you on the back:)

Good luck with the next one

Richard

Time to create page: 0.877 seconds