Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the IREX question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

IREX?

• Aviatordan
  • Topic Author

Aviatordan created the topic: IREX?

G'day,

Please excuse me for sounding a bit daft here but I'm looking to find out what the IREX actually allows you to do. I know you need to take a flight test for it, but once the exam and flight test done what rating do you have? I mean, I know it's some form of instrument rating but is it a command instrument rating, or is that something else?

Does it all allow you to fly in all sorts of IFR conditions for a company?

Again, sorry for sounding daft I just thought I should find out! =)

Cheers guys,

Daniel

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Aviatordan
  • Topic Author

Aviatordan replied the topic: Re: IREX?

Also, how hard would it be to do home study? I've done my NVFR rating so I've got the basics in practical experience.

Cheers!

• Aviatordan
  • Topic Author

Anyone? =]

• Richard

Richard replied the topic: Re: IREX?

Hi Dan,

The instrument rating entitles you to fly under the instrument flight rules (IFR). You will no longer be restricted to flying in VMC under the VFR (Visual flight Rules). There are 2 types of instrument rating in Australia, the ICAO conformant CIR (Command Instrument Rating) and the PIFRR (Private IFR Rating) and the privileges and training requirements are different for the two of the them.

You do not need an instrument rating to fly day VFR commercial operations but most commercial pilots end up getting the CIR as their careers progress. The PIFRR also allows you to fly under the IFR rules but only on private operations and all flight under the lowest safe altitude needs to be in conditions of 5000m visibility and clear of cloud.

Instrument Ratings are covered in CAO 40.2.1 which you can find here:
www.comlaw.gov.au/Details/F2009C00139
CAO 40.2.1.13 discusses privileges and limitations.

And here's a link to CAAP 5.13.1 with more plain-language information on the PIFRR:
www.casa.gov.au/wcmswr/_assets/main/down...caaps/ops/5_13_1.pdf

Cheers,

Rich

• Aviatordan
  • Topic Author

Hey Rich!

Thanks heaps for your reply! =]

So the IREX exam is done for both the CIR and PIFRR? The rating you get after the IREX exam depends on what you want?

Man it's going to be good to have the option of entering cloud and not having them appear to me as white and fluffy bringers of death and destruction! =P. It'll be good also being able to fully rely on the instruments, and knowing that I won't be out of control in 90 seconds or whatever the statistic is for a VFR pilot who enters cloud.

What is your opinion on tackling it home study style?

Cheers,

Dan =]

• Richard

Richard replied the topic: Re: IREX?

Hi Dan,

Just to make sure there's no confusion, the IREX exam is just the theory component. You will obviously still need to pass a flight test.

The IREX exam fulfills the theory requirements for the PIFRR as well as the CIR but if you read the CAAP you will find you do not need to do the full IREX exam if you're only after a PIFRR. In that case it's possible for the CFI of the flying school recommending you for test to set the PIFRR theory exam according to CASA's syllabus.

As I said, you will still need to pass a flight test before your rating will be awarded.

Whether you choose home study is your call. Home study for the IREX theory exam is possible and a lot of students pass the exam just with the books alone. IREX is quite a brain-burner though so you would need to be disciplined and a reasonably strong student to succeed. If you are home studying make sure you take a crack at as many practice exams you can get your hands on e.g. our exam preps or some of the IREX exam packs you can get at your pilot supply store. Worked answers will also give you an insight into the logic behind the correct responses. Check out the IREX forum here on the site to see examples of the kind of questions and the type of thinking that must be applied to nut them out.

You will find instrument flying immensely satisfying and as you mentioned, it will enhances your flying skills immensely which can only make you a safer pilot.

Cheers,

Rich

• Aviatordan
  • Topic Author

Oh, of course there's the actual flight test. I just wondered if it were the same theory exam for both the ratings, and now I know! I guess since I'm doing my CPL there'd be no sense in getting anything but the CIR!

I think I'll get the book and attempt to do home-study. I've been doing it for all my CPL subjects and getting reasonable marks so I may as well give it a crack. Do you know if the exam credit has an expiry date, i.e. if the flight test isn't undertaken within a certain amount of time?

Thanks heaps for your reply, Rich!

Cheers,

Dan =]

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Re: IREX?

The IREX exam is valid indefinitely. It remains valid while ever you hold a pilot's licence.

• Aviatordan
  • Topic Author

Thanks, Bob! And thanks to you as well Rich!

I was really debating with myself whether I should do IREX so soon or not. But hey, if it doesn't expire I may as well do it while in study mode!

Cheers guys!

• johnd

johnd replied the topic: Re: IREX?

Hello Bob, good to see still sorting these young fellows out.

I was in your class in mid 2002?, anyway I understand that the IREX is valid indefinitely, but I can't find the reference in the regs/rules. Long story short, I find myself needing the ozzie IREX Credit again after 8 years flying IFR (H) offshore.
Can you please advise the reference?

Your assistance would be greatly appreciated.

JD

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds