Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× If you have any suggestions on how we can improve this site or if you are having problems with any our products e.g. books, cyberexams or the website, please use this forum to let us know. Technical questions on subjects can be posted to the "Questions and Answers" section below.

IPad/IPhone Material?

• Richard
  • Topic Author

Richard created the topic: IPad/IPhone Material?

Hi everyone,

We keep getting requests for information on any material we could produce for mobile platforms. Well, we've been taking a look at this and would be interested in some input from people who'd be interested in seeing something come out for the iPhone/IPad,Android etc and to gather some information on what you think would be of most use.

What would you like to see? An iPhone/iPad textbook? Course materials? Practice exams? Would you use them in conjunction with the printed textbook? Instead of a textbook?

If anyone has some comments or input, please feel free to post here. Any feedback is welcome. It would be a great help to us in determining what is actually going to be of the most use to you.

Cheers,

Rich and Bob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• daveloughnan

daveloughnan replied the topic: Re: IPad/IPhone Material?

iPhone textbooks would be a great idea, as a handy reference tool when you're away from the flight school classroom. Something like an interactive echo loading chart that could be altered for other aircraft.

• Richard
  • Topic Author

Richard replied the topic: Re: IPad/IPhone Material?

Hi Dave,

Thanks for that. We've been looking at ways of offering the textbook as an online publication (as compared to a book in the Apple store). Would that still be any use?

As for interactive loading charts etc, that's an interesting idea. We've actually steered away from any kind of "virtual charts" - even in the online courses. The reasoning being, in the exam you'll need to use pencil and paper and your own tables. One thing that seems to catch a lot of students out is bad lines or misinterpreting scales on the charts. That's why we reckon it's better if people practice with paper and pencil.

Thanks for your input. It's much appreciated.

Cheers,

Rich

• Taren

Taren replied the topic: Re: IPad/IPhone Material?

I don't use my laptop , I do all my work on iPad and I even watch all tv shows , live sports , movies online on iPad.And all these I can do on something which is extremely light and battery lasts for over 15 hours.

Apple Accessories iPad2 case iPad 2 cases

• captainellzy

captainellzy replied the topic: Re: IPad/IPhone Material?

Hi Richard, Bob & Co.,

I reckon an iPhone/iPad textbook to use in conjuction (have a flick through on the train, work lunch etc..) could come in handy for those that want to keep their heads in the books but dont quite have the time to study right there and then.

I would also like to see some sort of flash cards for a quiz on questions that don't require intensive research (may only suit BAK or PPL?) Quizzes in general would be fantastic..

Agreed with the preference for paper charts, absolutely.

Cheers!

• Richard
  • Topic Author

I am in the process of upgrading the E-Text viewer app and hey presto! it just happens to generate portable versions of the textbook segments too. I'll put up a demo soon so you can take a look. That means students currently enrolled in the PERF course will actually be able to access the E-Text online with their IPad/IPhone/Android.

If it works, we might look at creating "Textbook only" courses that allow access to an online textbook. Hmmm...might have to have a chat with Bob about that one :whistle:

Speaking of online courses: stand by for CPL-PERF. We'll be announcing the official opening here on the site very soon. The ads are already off to the magazines and the printers are proofing the box design for the course kits :woohoo:

Cheers,

Rich

• Richard
  • Topic Author

There is an early demo of the E-Text to be found in this thread . If you call up the link to the textbook excerpt on your iPad/iPhone you will get a feature-reduced version of the textbook reader.

The normal PC/Mac version includes bookmarking, Table of contents and full text search features but, at the moment, this functionality is not available for mobile devices. We are hoping this will change soon.

In any case, this demo is only a prototype so don't be put off it doesn't work too well yet. We will not be releasing online textbooks until we are sure the viewer application is up to scratch.

Cheers,

Rich

• Bungee

Bungee replied the topic: Re: IPad/IPhone Material?

Richard,
What would be great is the revision questions in an e-format for ipad etc that is like the cyberexams, at the end of answering the revision questions/and the practice exam it gives you a score and shows you what you got wrong so you can quickly identify your mistakes.

Maybe i am old fashioned, but I like a text book to scribble in, highlght stuff and cart around with me without having to worry about security if i leave in the car etc.I also find the ipad a bit harsh on the eyes, as opposed to an ebook reader that has a more eye friendly screen.

I certainly see a benfit in having it as an ebook, but would be sad to see the printed material go.

• Richard
  • Topic Author

Bungee,you're certainly not old fashioned. I don't think an E-Text can replace a textbook really (an iPad/Kindle etc simply don't smell right :lol: ). However, a lot of people have been enquiring about E-Text versions of the books and so we will be offering all the textbooks as E-Text subscriptions very soon (I'm working on it at the moment).

We see the E-Texts more as a convenient companion to the printed text rather than a replacement. If someone wants a printed textbook, the printed copies will always be available. If they want E-Text instead or as well as, we shall be offering solutions for those people as well.

Interesting point you make about the revision questions... The online course is full of drill exercises, quizzes, practice exams drawing from a large question bank. They are of course useable by iPad etc since they run using normal web technologies (HTML and Javascript). Someone could theoretically use their iPad to do practice exams etc during their enrolment.

Thanks for your input Bungee,

Cheers,

Rich

• Adam

Adam replied the topic: Re: IPad/IPhone Material?

hey fellas

I just bought an Ipad for the flight tools side of things and i love it. Id love to see the online exams do-able on it for when i come up to do IREX simply because bringing my desktop up and setting it up in a unit for a week or two is a pain in the neck (dont have a laptop worth mentioning). also if the text books were on there it would be a great way to have a read every now and then without lugging books around. Oh and the waitresses at the Redcliffe Tav wouldnt have to shift a tonne of books to put my meal down each night ;)

just my two bob, but i guess it will never replace a nice new, fresh textbook and a lead pencil.

cheers!

Time to create page: 0.101 seconds