Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin

PPL (A) Theory Exam for UAV controller certif

• Simmo
  • Topic Author

Simmo created the topic: PPL (A) Theory Exam for UAV controller certif

hey!

I'm getting my UAV controllers license, to do this, I'm taking the PPL(A) Theory exam, i've got Bobs Books for PPL and BAK and started going through them yesterday.

Now i've rarely been in planes and am starting with absolutely no aviation prior experience, luckily my maths/physics/electronics is on point so im not overly worried for this test. however seeing as i don't have the benefit of a flight school, i was wonder if someone here would be kind enought to help me out with answers to the following.

I have looked on the CASA website for the items your allowed into the Test and I didn't see it mention the flight computer that is talked about form Chapter 1 Bob's VFR Day PPL,
Do i need to bring a flight computer (the wheel) to the exam?
Is it worth buying and bringing the VFRG book? whats inside this? would i use it in the exam for referencing to find the answer to some of the questions????
Seeing as im a newbie, which section would people think will be the hardest for me/what should i focus my time on?
I'll be taking the test in 2 weeks, just revising a couple of hours a night at present, my plan is to pass first time, but should that not happen ill just rebook the test for the next week, hopefully with a better idea of where to focus.

\Thanks!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Richard

Richard replied the topic: PPL (A) Theory Exam for UAV controller certif

Hi Simmo,

Yes you will need a flight computer if you do the PPL exam. However, you might want to consider contacting Ben Harris at FlyUAS for some more UAV specific information. He can help you get your UAV controller certificate and you won't need to do the PPL exam. More info on flyuas.com.au or have a chat with him on 0407027569 or 1300 03 03 57

Cheers,

Rich

• Simmo
  • Topic Author

Simmo replied the topic: PPL (A) Theory Exam for UAV controller certif

Thanks Rich. But the cost difference between the PPL route and doing a uav specific course is over $2000 and you gotta have a spare 5 days to sit in a classroom. I'm a big believer in doing things myself...

Do you know what is in the VFRG book? Is it a good aid for the exam?

• Richard

Richard replied the topic: PPL (A) Theory Exam for UAV controller certif

Understood Simmo, no probs. The VFRG is an essential reference for the exam - unless you want to fork out 100's of dollars for a set of regs. You will still need the ERSA and a couple of WAC charts which CASA have specified. You will need an E6B or Jeppesen CR3 manual flight computer. You will also need a bag full of patience and understanding as the majority of the PPL syllabus has absolutely nothing to do with UAVs :(

Cheers,

RIch

• Simmo
  • Topic Author

Simmo replied the topic: PPL (A) Theory Exam for UAV controller certif

Thanks a lot for your help rich. I got my E6B, ordered the vfrg.I'll try and find out what these wac charts are. I'm up to part 3 of Bob's book now. Feel like I'm on my way to being a weather man! :)

Time to create page: 0.084 seconds