Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin

Left Field...UAV training (scale aircraft)

• airmap3d

airmap3d replied the topic: Left Field...UAV training (scale aircraft)

Cheers Mikeman, hardest undertaking in my life but very happy to have done it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mikeman

mikeman replied the topic: Left Field...UAV training (scale aircraft)

Hi Matty K

The CASA web site has a nicely laid out table that highlights the difference between Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) and model aircraft. www.casa.gov.au/scripts/nc.dll?WCMS:STANDARD::pc=PC_100375 What you are trying to set up clearly falls under the UAS category so you would need to go down the same road we are all going down (or gone down).

There are many illegal operators out there claiming ambiguity, when it seems clear there is little ambiguity.

You also mention 500ft and 1000ft, so here are a few more details that need to be cleared up:

1. Unmanned aircraft activities are approved for operations over unpopulated areas up to 400ft AGL (above ground level), or higher with special approvals. Special approvals are also required for other areas.

2. Operations are not permitted in controlled airspace without CASA approval and coordination with Air Services Australia.

3. Operations can be operated in visual meteorological conditions (VMC) and /or instrument meteorological conditions (IMC) with appropriate approvals.

Good luck - take the hard road as it is currently still the only one available.

• Matty K

Matty K replied the topic: Left Field...UAV training (scale aircraft)

Thanks mikeman for extending my knowledge on all of this. I'll keep at my fixed wing license and will look more into the UAV OC. Would still be curious as to what CASA will be possibly imposing for the UAV OC relating to the different weight category's so will try again to get in touch with Phil Presgrave . If there is a possible chance that the regulations will be changing in the near few months it seems that going through all of the requirements would be a waste of time and money. Will keep at the books anyway and will try and chase up any information.

• imagecatcher

imagecatcher replied the topic: Left Field...UAV training (scale aircraft)

So many times I have said to myself over the last 4yrs "I gonna get the bloody license!" and then something holds me back, my wife, the media, a new casa workshop. All have made me reconsider the massive outlay. This week I find myself saying it again due to a business opportunity that would eventually require it. I too have held out for the 4 tier weight class idea but ...still waiting.
So now I am trawling the net for training provider, exam suppliers, or simply (not) diy CC approach. Obviously the 5-12 day courses appeal due to the fasttrack nature. But at $3500 - 6000 thats a premium for being a little time poor.
Having said that can anyone recommend or comment on them:
  • VTOL in QLD - UAS Academy
  • Ultimate Positioning Systems (Trimbal) VIC & QLD
  • AeroSDB Wollongong
  • any others?
Vtol is the best but it is 2wks and $6000
UPS is 5 days $3300 & I have met the CO David Hobby and he has decades of UAS experience
Aerosdb is also 5 days $? and the website 'looks' pro (aviation software developer) but the email had so many errors eg Dear $ was not a good 1st impression.
Troy

• airmap3d

Unless you are actually intending on flying one of the specific UAV's that the training providers will train you on I would go with the cheapest and fastest.
If you are planning on operating a different UAV (not offered by the training organisations) keep in mind that you would still need to do the manufacturer training for that particular UAV (and clock up 5hrs logged flying time with it) to be endorsed to operate it... this could obviously incur further costs to you?
Ideally you want to try and find someone who is offering the training using the UAV you are going to be using.
I just had a friend complete the UPS training but haven't actually heard how he got on. I know he did get his ticket but once again, he is only endorsed for the UAV/s that they use.

I did the DIY option, it is all reasonably easy but is very time consuming!!

PS. Don't hold your breath for the weight class system to be introduced as there is a good chance it may never happen and if it does, I can only imagine it will be some time yet. Nothing happens quickly with CASA!

Best of luck,
Matt.

• imagecatcher

Yes i agree on the whole. Curious what it takes to add a new vehicle to your license. If little, then do the oem they provide and then upgrade/add. UPS state only fixed wing but i mainly fly octos...whst about you & your friend Mat? PPL(H)???
About the manufacturers training... It lists a number of options starting with manufactures training but indicates also a OC could test your ability. Also re log, my octo records all flights gpx data to an sd card. Would that qualify as a basis for logged hrs?

• imagecatcher

@ Mike,
Hi there Mike,
To answer your question posted elsewhere, No I don't yet.
Ever since I attended the first CASA UAV workshop in Sydney back in 2010 I have deliberated over it. Like others, I have been hoping for change. But 3 yrs on with only a rumour that 'maybe' in Sept 2014 a change may come, it is time to get RPAS and with luck (and $) a UOC.
When you say my business, well I am a full time high school teacher at present. UAV is my passion and one day it may pay for a new set of props LOL. And allow me to exit teaching... I have been in it only 6yrs but I really cannot see myself doing it for another 20. I figure with even a RPAS I may be able to start looking for industry openings now.
Where I really want to be is in the environmental area. Mapping, weed infestation, precision agriculture type stuff.
Since it is not my full time job (gee that would be risky biz without a UOC) and I am not invloved in a business that utilises drones or surveying for that matter, it is difficult to spend a protracted amount of time developing manuals blindly. This is why I am considering attending a course like those held by UltimatePositioningSystems UPS, AeroSDB. Basically I want guidance on exactly what is required by CASA : manuals, their format, depth of knowledge in the various areas etc.
Mike, I take it you have not got yours just yet either.
NB: I'm the guy to the left of Phil Presgrave (sitting) with the bald head and folded arms. Cannot see you there :)
Thanks Mike
Attachments:

• mikeman

mikeman replied the topic: Left Field...UAV training (scale aircraft)

I would recommend doing any of the new courses available, if you can. They are all UAV specific so much of the material that you have to go through doing the PPL route is left out. It does not really matter if you get trained on a fixed wing or VTOL as it is pretty straightforward to add on other aircraft types on your CC. I have already done this once and will add on several more aircraft to my CC soon. All you need is the required logged time and the manufacture/agent training (which you have to get any way you choose to go). It also only costs $25 (to CASA) to add on another aircraft type onto your CC.

• airmap3d

With respect to waiting for the weight categories... My theory is...

I wouldn't wait. If it ever does happen then there will instantly be hundreds of small (<2kg) UAV operators out there and there will no longer be any money in it (for the type of work that those small UAV's can achieve anyway). If you are planning on making money of a sub 2kg UAV you better do it now before this rule is introduced.

Time to create page: 0.101 seconds