Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× If you are studying for your BAK or PPL exams and need some help, please post your question here. Someone on the forum is bound to help you as soon as they can.

Central pressure in a thunderstorm

• baddles
  • Topic Author

baddles created the topic: Central pressure in a thunderstorm

Hi all
"In the mature stage of a thunderstorm, the central pressure is (a) decreasing, (b) stable, (c) increasing."
This question was on a practice PPL exam in my flying school. I assume 'central pressure' means the pressure at the centre of the storm but whether at ground level or some other place is not clear. I have not been able to find an answer in the various textbooks including the Bureau of Meteorology's text on aviation meteorology... Clearly in the Developing stage the pressure is dropping, and in the Dissipating stage it is increasing again, and in the Mature stage there are updrafts and downdrafts fighting each other, so I'm guessing the correct answer is (b). Does anyone have an authoritative answer?
cheers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Central pressure in a thunderstorm

The question has to be referring to a tropical cyclone not a thunderstorm. I think you'll find it's a typo in the question itself. Central pressure in a thunderstorm makes no sense.
The following user(s) said Thank You: baddles

• baddles
  • Topic Author

baddles replied the topic: Central pressure in a thunderstorm

Thank you Bob!! That was it.
I may have misremembered the question (don't want to libel my flying school)
So the correct answer (with 'tropical cyclone' instead of 'thuderstorm') would have been (b) pressure is steady

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Central pressure in a thunderstorm

Yep. That's it!

Time to create page: 0.087 seconds