Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× If you are studying for your BAK or PPL exams and need some help, please post your question here. Someone on the forum is bound to help you as soon as they can.

Nav kit for PPL student

• giantkingsquid
  • Topic Author

giantkingsquid created the topic: Nav kit for PPL student

Hi Everyone,

Recently gained my RPL and am going to start nav training for PPL soon. I'm getting together a bit of a nav kit for my training. What do you suggest?

I've come up with:
  • scale ruler
  • E6B calculator
  • protractor
  • VNCs
  • VTCs
  • WACs
  • ERSA

Anything else? I think I'll get a PLB too...

Cheers,

Tom

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• dav

dav replied the topic: Nav kit for PPL student

Hi Tom,
All of the above you mentioned. Some other things you might want.. an AIP would be advisable, a kneeboard for your map, some clips to hold the map folds in place, and a stopwatch attached to kneeboard. A pens/pencils attached to kneeboard with some string so you don't lose it if you drop it. In kneeboard, runway diagram pages and radio freqs of your origin, destination and any alternates is handy, basically enlarged copies of the ERSA pages would do.

• giantkingsquid
  • Topic Author

giantkingsquid replied the topic: Nav kit for PPL student

Thanks for that.

• ken

ken replied the topic: Nav kit for PPL student

Tom,
My two cents worth having finished PPL and working towards CPL.

Nav computer - see if you can find a CR-2 Jeppesen/ASA 4 inch wheel. Fits in your shirt pocket and you can use one handed while your holding your HDG/ALT in bumpy weather.

ERSA loose leaf. Few bucks cheaper each renewal and you can use the coloured dividers in your folder or pull the pages out and stick on your knee board.

Ruler. Just get the ATC Plotter ruler on one. Less stuff to lose under the seat.

Erasable highlighters for marking area frequency boundaries and CTA steps on your WACs.

Add PCA chart to your list and AIP as stated.

Practice estimating angles without protractor. You’ll be to within 10 degrees with a little practice and it will give you some confidence and spare capacity with diversions without too much head down time.

If aerodromes you’re going to have instrument approaches, print the relevant Aerodrome chart off the Airservices site. Much better diagrams than in ERSA with all your freqs easy to see.

• giantkingsquid
  • Topic Author

giantkingsquid replied the topic: Nav kit for PPL student

Thanks Ken.

Time to create page: 0.098 seconds