Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× If you are studying for your BAK or PPL exams and need some help, please post your question here. Someone on the forum is bound to help you as soon as they can.

RPL/PPL Study Guilde Vol 2 - Part 6 Sample Examination Questions - Q51

• lostinspace2011
  • Topic Author

lostinspace2011 created the topic: RPL/PPL Study Guilde Vol 2 - Part 6 Sample Examination Questions - Q51

Given:
Area forecast W/V: 150/45, TR(T)=080 DEG, VAR=10 DEG E, TAS 145
Determine HDG(M) and GS.

After completing the practice exercises while tacking the sample exam, I am not able to get the correct answer.
Here is what I got:

True Course: 90 DEG (T) using 080 DEG (M) + 10 DEG E = 90 DEG
This gives me a 22kts headwind with a 40kts right crosswind

To account for a 40kts crosswind I would have to apply a crab angle of 16 DEG to the right
Taking my track and applying the crab angle gives me 80(M)+16=96(M) HDG

And ground speed. TAS 145kts - 20 head wind = 125kts GS

The correct answer is 87 DEG (M) HDG and 123kts GS, but I don't know how to arrive at this and where I am going wrong.

Any pointers would help me out a lot. Been stuck at this one for several hours now.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• lostinspace2011
  • Topic Author

lostinspace2011 replied the topic: RPL/PPL Study Guilde Vol 2 - Part 6 Sample Examination Questions - Q51

This time the right way round
Attachments:

• michel@deprez.id.au

michel@deprez.id.au replied the topic: RPL/PPL Study Guilde Vol 2 - Part 6 Sample Examination Questions - Q51

hello...

I believe it should be... Variation East Magnetic least (when converting from True to Mag) Page 195 has some example exercises.

True Course: 080 DEG (T) - 10 DEG E = 70 DEG (M)

Regards, Michel.

Time to create page: 0.281 seconds