Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× If you are studying for your BAK or PPL exams and need some help, please post your question here. Someone on the forum is bound to help you as soon as they can.

Finals in CTAF

• lostinspace2011
  • Topic Author

lostinspace2011 created the topic: Finals in CTAF

While preparing for my theory exam I came across this question:

You are on finals in a CTAF and there is a slower aircraft below you approaching to land. You should
  • A You may overtake the aircraft, provided you pass on its right and broadcast intentions
  • B You must not overtake the aircraft
  • C You may overtake that aircraft, provided you pass on it's left and broadcast intentions
  • D You should go around

I would have thought a go around (A) is always an option, but it appears that (B) You must not overtake the aircraft was the correct answer.

Presumably if I am not overtaking the aircraft I will be landing behind it. This does not seem like a very good idea and I would be keen to hear what everyone else thinks of this.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• dav

dav replied the topic: Finals in CTAF

Yeah, you are not allowed to overtake an aircraft on finals. CAR
Of course you are right - a GO AROUND is always an option, if you can't maintain a safe airspeed and separation etc, but
the question does not really go into that.

• Carello

Carello replied the topic: Finals in CTAF

Presumably if I am not overtaking the aircraft I will be landing behind it. This does not seem like a very good idea ...

In practice I don't think anyone could argue with your logic here - a go-around may be the only option.

CAR 162(6) says the the higher aircraft shall give way to the lower aircraft but does not state how to do this. Logically on finals there are only two options
1) slow down or
2) go around
If option one is not possible then go around.

If you choose to go around and pass the lower aircraft CAR 162(3) says that lower aircraft still has right of way - ie you cannot cut in front of it and land.

In summary, to answer your question, both answers B and D are right. I would have chosen D (go around) but I'm not the examiner.
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.285 seconds