Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× If you are studying for your BAK or PPL exams and need some help, please post your question here. Someone on the forum is bound to help you as soon as they can.

The Effect of Weight on Descent

• tszchun.anson
  • Topic Author

tszchun.anson created the topic: The Effect of Weight on Descent

Hi,

When it comes to a glide, weight is not affecting glide angle and glide path, but the heavier aircraft glides that path faster according to the study guide. I would like to confirm my understanding:

However, I am confused about why the heavier aircraft can glide further in headwind. I have brainstormed a bit:

I would be thankful if you could help provide me with some insights. Really thanks very much for your support!

Anson

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• tszchun.anson
  • Topic Author

tszchun.anson replied the topic: The Effect of Weight on Descent

I have done some revision on lift as well. I was reminded that if AoA remains constant, raising airspeed increases the magnitude of total reaction, hence its components, lift and drag, are increased by same proportion (L/D Ratio). Back to the topic of descent, the heavier aircraft glides the path faster (@higher airspeed), supposedly its lift/drag ratio remains unchanged hence there will not be any change in glide distance per altitude loss (or glide angle).

Then I doubt about how headwind plays a role in the descent. I thought it just simply increases the IAS of the aircraft and has the same effect as raising airspeed on L/D ratio (which is no effect).

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: The Effect of Weight on Descent

In no wind, the light aircraft and the heavy aircraft travel down the same path within the 'box of air' that contains them. However, in a headwind, the heavier aircraft travels down that same path more quickly and therefore hits the ground sooner (assuming that they both started at the same time, height and ground position). Therefore the light aircraft spends more time in the air.

Now if you consider the wind to be a 'moving box of air', when the heavy aircraft hit the ground, the light aircraft was still in the 'box of air' and therefore was still traveling downwind. The light aircraft spends more time in the air so the wind has more time to act on it.

• tszchun.anson
  • Topic Author

tszchun.anson replied the topic: The Effect of Weight on Descent

Thank you so much! I have got my understanding sorted out.

Merry Christmas!

Time to create page: 0.058 seconds