Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× If you are studying for your BAK or PPL exams and need some help, please post your question here. Someone on the forum is bound to help you as soon as they can.

Departure radio calls

• skysaver
  • Topic Author

skysaver created the topic: Departure radio calls

Hi everyone, i seem to be gettjng a bit cobfused as ti when to make my departure call from a non controlled aerodrome. Say i am departing on an extended crosswind or down wjnd shouldvi be making tibcall while on the leg or after i keave the circuit area? I just to have this issue cleared up.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Carello

Carello replied the topic: Departure radio calls

You make your departure report after you have intercepted your outbound (departure) track. You should intercept your outbound track no later that 5nm of the aerodrome - see diagram below.

Remember: Aviate, Navigate and Communicate in that order!

I hope this helps!
Attachments:

• skysaver
  • Topic Author

skysaver replied the topic: Departure radio calls

Thank you very much, where abouts did you locate that image?

• Carello

Carello replied the topic: Departure radio calls

The image came from the VFGR at vfrg.casa.gov.au

VFRG

• skysaver
  • Topic Author

skysaver replied the topic: Departure radio calls

Many thanks

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Departure radio calls

Actually you will find that the requirement to intercept the outbound track by 5nm is specifically for IFR aircraft (AIP ENR 1.1 para 10.4.2). That is necessary for the provision of a SAR watch for all IFR aircraft based on full radio reporting procedures.

A VFR aircraft can use that procedure of course, but it is not a requirement. The AIP contains no specific requirement for VFR aircraft to make a departure broadcast. The table in AIP ENR 1.1 para 6.1.16.2 gives a summary of the radio calls required for VFR aircraft operating into or out of a CTAF. The note at the end of that paragraph simply says that, apart from commencement of taxi and entering a runway, you should make a broadcast 'whenever it is reasonably necessary'.

Time to create page: 0.155 seconds