Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× If you are studying for your BAK or PPL exams and need some help, please post your question here. Someone on the forum is bound to help you as soon as they can.

PPL Cyber exam

• Colleen Osborne
  • Topic Author

Colleen Osborne created the topic: PPL Cyber exam

How do I access Bob Taits PPL cyber practice exams.
Many thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Austin

Austin replied the topic: PPL Cyber exam

Hi Colleen

Go to online.bobtait.com.au and pick what you want (PPL, CPL etc) from the menu. There is a charge, of course (I paid $55 for four practice PPL exams), but it's well worth it - you get timed and untimed exams, immediate results, and detailed explanations of the correct answers.

• cs512tr

cs512tr replied the topic: PPL Cyber exam

i guys.
i recently purchased and am attempting the first untimed cyber practice exam (PPL A) and on question 46 it says ::

You are planning to take-off from a non-controlled aerodrome in an aircraft having a MTOW of 750 kg, and have just lined up at the beginning of the runway. Another aircraft of the same type has just taken off from the same 1900 metre runway.

The earliest you can commence your take-off run is when the other aircraft is airborne and at least -
Select one:

1: 600 metres ahead of you
2: 1800 metres ahead of you
3: 600 metres from the beginning of the runway
4: 600 metres ahead of your proposed take-off point

yet i found in the Casa VFR-G page 3-48 it explains the rules regarding such situation.
but from the answers, i find option 2 and 4 are correct?
am i interpreting this correctly?

thankyou
carl

• Austin

Hi Carl

Funnily enough, I was looking at that very question last night - probably around the same time as you were....

You're quite right: there's a discrepancy there between the VFR-G and the AIP. The VFR-G says:

"An aircraft will not be permitted to commence take-off until:

A preceding departing aircraft using the same runway has
  • crossed the upwind end of the runway
  • commenced a turn
  • if the runway is longer than 1800m: become airborne and is at least 1800m ahead of the following aircraft
  • if the preceding aircraft has a MTOW of 7000kg or less and the following aircraft has a MTOW below 200kg and is slower: the preceding airaft is airborne and is at least 600m ahead of the following aircraft
  • if both aircraft have a MTOW below 2000kg: the preceding aircraft is airborne and is at least 600m ahead of the proposed point of lift-off"
.... etc

Now, where they got those last two points from, I don't know (I've been looking, but haven't been able to find it). Because here's what the AIP has to say about it, in ENR 1.1 para 41.2:

"An aircraft will not be permitted to commence take-off until:

A preceding departing aircraft using the same runway has
  • crossed the upwind end of the runway
  • commenced a turn
  • if the runway is longer than 1800m: become airborne and is at least 1800m ahead of the following aircraft
  • if both aircraft have a MTOW below 2000kg: the preceding aircraft is airborne and is at least 600m ahead"
.... etc

The differences are apparent: the criterion for an aircraft with MTOW 7000kg or less doesn't appear at all in the AIP version; and the one for both aircraft below 2000kg MTOW requires the preceding aircraft to be merely 600m ahead of the other aircraft, not of the proposed lift-off point.

I don't know what to make of that, or what possessed the otherwise-very-well-informed author of the VFR-G to put that in there; but the exam guidance is very clear that current regulations take precedence over the VFR Guide (which is, after all, only a guide); so I (and Bob's examiners, by the look of it) will go with the AIP version.

Anyway, good luck with the test!

• cs512tr

hi Austin,
thanks for the reply, i found the exact same writing in the current aip enr ENR - 1.1 : 41.2.1(attached)

perhaps i am misreading something here?>. :)

thanks
Carl
Attachments:

• Austin

In the AIP version, if both aircraft are below 2000kg, you may take off if the other aircraft is more than 600m ahead full stop (well, OK, it's a semi-colon, but still...) - in other words, ahead of you. Option 4 on the question says " 600 metres ahead of your proposed take-off point" (which is also what the VFR-G says, in contradiction of the AIP).

So, as the AIP takes priority, option 2 is the only remaining correct answer.

• cs512tr

thanks for your help

• cs512tr

hi Austin,
thanks for your help

• cs512tr

"" The correct answer is: 600 metres ahead of you ""

Time to create page: 0.093 seconds