Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× If you are studying for your BAK or PPL exams and need some help, please post your question here. Someone on the forum is bound to help you as soon as they can.

PPL Question

• Kumar
  • Topic Author

Kumar created the topic: PPL Question

Dear Sir

I have PPL exam this weekend and was hoping if I can clarify few questions.

1. In an un-controlled aerodome with elevation 200 Feet with left hand circuit I wish to turn right after take off.
(answer was 2200 feet, not sure how, I was taught that we cant turn right for 3NM or 1500 AGL)

2. PPL Bob Tait Book page 2.5.26 question No. 18 - Under which condition is the formation of clear ice on an airframe most likely?
a. During flight above the freezing level in the Nimbostratus cloud
b. During flight below the freezing level in the Nimbostratus cloud
c. during flight in clear air with outside air temperature belwo zero
d. during flight below this stratus cloud
(I answered b and got it wrong as per the PPL book answer is a. However ice forms below freezing temperature so could it be that answer is incorrect in the book ?)

I look forward to your help and hope I can ask as many questions on this forum unless there is limit per user. thanks

Regards
Raj

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Nav

Nav replied the topic: PPL Question

Hi Raj,

In relation to Q2:
I think you may be confusing Freezing Temperature (Below zero degrees Celsius) with Freezing Level (Altitude where temperature is zero degrees Celsius - think 'Flight Level')

Nimbostratus produces a lot of droplets and above the freezing level, these can be supercooled (sub-zero liquid state).

Upon contact with the sub-zero airframe, the resulting ice type will be clear ice.

• Kumar
  • Topic Author

Kumar replied the topic: PPL Question

Hi Nav

Much appreciated and thanks for clarifying my doubt between Freezing level and Freezing temperature :)

Regards
Raj

• Tim2Fly

Tim2Fly replied the topic: PPL Question

Regarding question 1;
You must fly above traffic pattern altitude by 500ft
And normally at any given aerodrome
Normal aircraft traffic pattern altitude is 1000ft
And jets are 1500ft
So you must fly 500ft above the jet traffic pattern altitude + 200 ft elevation = 2200ft

Time to create page: 0.063 seconds