Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× If you are studying for your BAK or PPL exams and need some help, please post your question here. Someone on the forum is bound to help you as soon as they can.

RPL to PPL conversion

• tellerto
  • Topic Author

tellerto created the topic: RPL to PPL conversion

Hi. I've had a look around the Forum but haven't stumbled across this question.

I recently achieved my RA-AUS Pilot Certificate via a metropolitan flying school, with a lot of assistance from Bob's BAK Study Guide. I'm now working on getting my cross country Nav endorsement, which will allow me to fly Light Sport aircraft anywhere in Australia, in daylight, except into Class C airspace. This phase of training relies heavily on Bob's VFR Study Guide and CASA-style examinations set by RA-AUS. I have been told that this advanced Light Sports pilot training and RA-AUS theory examinations will be of a level equal to the GFPT / final check flight assessment, provided I achieve endorsement to fly GA single-engined aircraft ie Cessna 172s or similar.

My question is this: Given the upcoming CASA changes regarding the governance of Recreational Aircraft pilot licencing (due September this year), can I expect that my RA-AUS Pilot Certificate (plus Nav and GA-type aircraft endorsements) will readily translate to a PPL Certificate?
Or will a PPL bridging course (including the GFPT) still be required for RA-AUS pilots after September?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Richard

Richard replied the topic: RPL to PPL conversion

Hi tellerto,

The reg changes are still somewhat "up in the air" if you'll pardon the pun, but my understanding is CASA is trying to make the transition for RA-Aus pilots a lot easier. Check out this info sheet for more information: www.casa.gov.au/wcmswr/_assets/main/lib100191/rr61_rpl_fs.pdf

Here's the relevant bit:So, an RA-Aus certificate will get you to RPL (roughly equivalent to the current GFPT). You will still need to undergo further training to get to the PPL qualification though. However, Nav endorsements etc will all help with that.

Best bet is to contact CASA with details of your flight experience and see what they reckon. If you don't mind, please update us here if you find out anything more. Other RA-Aus pilots will undoubtedly appreciate hearing what CASA says.

Cheers,

Rich

• tellerto
  • Topic Author

tellerto replied the topic: RPL to PPL conversion

Thanks for the quick response Rich. Will let you know how I get on.....

Time to create page: 0.094 seconds