Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× If you are studying for your BAK or PPL exams and need some help, please post your question here. Someone on the forum is bound to help you as soon as they can.

PPL Exam Help - Comms Failure and '1 in 60' Nav

• dalecochrane@hotmail.com
  • Topic Author

dalecochrane@hotmail.com created the topic: PPL Exam Help - Comms Failure and '1 in 60' Nav

I was hoping to get some help on some exam questions that have me stumped.

The first is what to do when you have a communication failure after take off in a controlled airspace. The options were along the lines of (a) transmit intentions on NDB frequency (b) switch transponder to 7700 on the SSR (c) listen for instructions on the NDB frequency (d) Something related to tuning to a VHF frequency to make contact

I selected C after reading 'Listen out on ATIS and/or voice modulated NAVAIDs' in the ERSA comms failure procedure but was wrong.

Also I am having lots of problems with navigating using the WAC extracts in the DAY VFR Syllabus. I am familiar with finding TMG, TTI, TE, CA etc but seemed to have missed a crucial step in my learning to being able to produce these figures from the map. Am I supposed to measure the distances from town circle to circle as a reliable method of obtaining distances? Because my nav ruler just doesn't seem to equal the distances in the question. The following question is an example:

]Refer VFR (Day) Booklet Bourke WAC page 30.

You plan to fly from NARRABRI (YNBR) (3019S 14950E) direct to ST GEORGE (YSGE) (2803S 14836E).

To avoid clouds after departing YNBR you divert left of planned TR along the YNBR - WALGETT railway line. At WEE WAA township (approximately 20 nm WNW YNBR) you decide to track direct to YSGE. The ARFOR wind for your cruise level is 100/20 kt, and your TAS is 140 kt.

The HDG (M) to steer to YSGE is closest to -
Choose one answer.
338 degrees
331 degrees
145 degrees
340 degrees

I have my PPL exam next week and would be so appreciative if someone could help me. Thanks everyone!!

Dale

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: PPL Exam Help - Comms Failure and '1 in 60' Nav

Regarding your first question, your choice [c] would be correct, however the voice modulated radio aid may not always be the NDB. It could sometimes be the VOR.

Regarding the second question, an exam question will say Wee Waa township if it is referring to the township. If it says Wee Waa, then of course, it is referring to the aerodrome circle. You might find this slide some help in answering that question.

Bob
Attachments:

• dalecochrane@hotmail.com
  • Topic Author

dalecochrane@hotmail.com replied the topic: PPL Exam Help - Comms Failure and '1 in 60' Nav

Briliant, thanks Bob, that really helped!!

Time to create page: 0.133 seconds