Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× If you are studying for your BAK or PPL exams and need some help, please post your question here. Someone on the forum is bound to help you as soon as they can.

Practice Forced Landing

• Spinrecovery
  • Topic Author

Spinrecovery created the topic: Practice Forced Landing

Hi,
I do not fully remember the checklist for Practice Forced Landing and also the high key low key thing.
The school I went to taught me this: CFM , CFMOST, MAY DAY, then Shutdown checklist but not sure if i am supposed to make may day call first then do all the checks or checks first then may day. Feel free to picth in your checklists.
Cheers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Neville75

Neville75 replied the topic: Practice Forced Landing

Hi
I'm no instructor, but FWIW, my mantra for PFL's is this : glide, trouble, field, trouble, mayday, pax brief, shutdown.
For the trouble checks I was taught FCMIT - fuel (confirm on and change tanks, primer locked), carb heat, mixture, ignition (confirm on and switch between each mag), throttle. I wouldn't do my mayday call first, as ideally it would be nice to fix the problem, and using the old saying, AVIATE, NAVIGATE, COMMUNICATE it should be well down the list. That being said, with a bit of altitude you are more likely to have the call heard by someone than closer to the ground so best not to leave until the absolute last minute, unless necessary. Maybe others have some thoughts also?
Nev

• Suzuki

Suzuki replied the topic: Practice Forced Landing

I recently had to put the whole forced landing issue into practice with a light single with smoke in the cockpit. I made up my own forced landing checklist many years ago by modifying the one I was taught, I learned it well, practiced it many times and I am here to tell the story because of that check list. The abbreviations are TFSWAMPS. (With the F being the first letter for FCMIT.
So here are the words that go with the Letters.
T Trim the aircraft for best glide speed
F FCMIT Fuel, Carby heat, Mixture, Ignition, Throttle.
S Select a paddock to land in
W Wind You should know the approx. wind speed and direction
A Approach Plan the descent profile from where you are to short final
M Mayday Mayday Mayday call to ATC or flight service
P Passenger brief
S Shut down. Plan the shut down (fuel, radios, magnetos, master, ignition, and open cockpit door) at approx. 200feet.
WARNING: DO NOT LET THE AIRSPEED GET TOO LOW IF YOU ARE GOING TO DO A TURN ONTO FINALS WITH NO ENGINE. YOU COULD STALL AND SPIRAL IN. YOU WILL BE AMAZED AT HOW SLOPPY THOSE CONTROLS FEEL WITH LOW AIRSPEED AND NO ENGINE.

Time to create page: 0.082 seconds