Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× If you are studying for your BAK or PPL exams and need some help, please post your question here. Someone on the forum is bound to help you as soon as they can.

Drift problems?

• Klaaysen
  • Topic Author

Klaaysen created the topic: Drift problems?

Hey guys,

Just doing some CPL NAV study on 1-60's, TE, CA, TTI, Drift etc etc t and I just stumbled across a way to help anyone who is struggling with figuring out drift and getting mixed up with whether its L or R etc. I realise this is PPL but because its relatively new to PPL, this may help anyone who's interested.
I'm not trying to outdo Bob's teachings or anything like that, because all the material is amazing, I just thought this is worth sharing as you may find it easier to work in your head.

It looks a little strange and muddled, but once you get how it works, its as simple as placing the values in their corresponding boxes, and the rest works itself out pretty much. Simple maths and you have TMG, L or R drift and severity of drift easy as pie. After a few examples you'll be doing it in your head in 2 seconds.

Simply draw five boxes all next to each other (enough room to write in). Working from left to right, label ABOVE the boxes (heading values will be written inside the boxes):
TMG | L DRIFT (-) | HDG | R DRIFT (+) | TMG

The left TMG box is for TMG bearings less than HDG, the right TMG box is for TMG bearings more than HDG.
Whatever values are supplied, enter them into their corresponding boxes.

If HDG and TMG are known, you'll be asked to figure out the drift, and which way the drift is. The orientation of the boxes makes it a no brainer.
If you know DRIFT and HDG, use the corresponding DRIFT box and add or subtract to get the TMG.
NOTE: If HDG is not known, you will need to work backwards. If TMG and R DRIFT are supplied, you will need to deduct the DRIFT value from the TMG to find the HDG. The same applies if TMG and L DRIFT are known. You will need to add the DRIFT value to the TMG to find the HDG.

Hope this help's anyone who keeps coming up with the wrong drift orientation from time to time. I know it happened to me a few times!
Good luck!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Richard

Richard replied the topic: Drift problems?

Thanks Klaaysen! In case you haven't seen it, Bob also has a brilliant way to visualise drift using a quick sketch which I have attached below. Students seem to get on with this variant pretty well as it is very visual.

Good luck with your studies!

Cheers,

Rich
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.135 seconds