Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× If you are studying for your BAK or PPL exams and need some help, please post your question here. Someone on the forum is bound to help you as soon as they can.

Mandatory Broadcast Zones

• scanwinder
  • Topic Author

scanwinder created the topic: Mandatory Broadcast Zones

Hi,

I've been studying for my radio-telephony exam and keep coming across information about mandatory broadcast zones (MBZ). From what I have read, dimensions of an MBZ(usually 15nm radius) can be found in the ERSA for the aerodrome. I have spent quite some time flicking through the ERSA and I see a lot of CTAFs but, can't find and MBZs. I have tried searching on google to find an MBZ aerodrome that I can look up but, just can't find any! Also, tried the online version of the ERSA but as it isn't in a single document (links to individual aerodrome pages), I can't use the search function to find them.

Are there any MBZs around or are they a legacy thing? If so, does anyone know of an MBZ aerodrome I can look up? What would be the purpose of establishing an MBZ instead of CTAF? I'm assuming it's traffic-related?

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Mandatory Broadcast Zones

You must have been using a very old book for your study for radio-telephony exams. MBZs have been out for many years now. In those days in was possible to fly in a CTAF without a radio. MBZ was used for those aerodromes where radio was compulsory. The MBZs were eventually dropped and radio now radio is required in ALL CTAFs so there is no need to have two terms. You wont find any mention of MBZs now except in out-of-date documents.

• scanwinder
  • Topic Author

scanwinder replied the topic: Mandatory Broadcast Zones

Just checked out the date on the book - 1998! Actually, it's the aviation theory centre flight radio for pilots book, I got it from the library (explains why it's so old). I found a few websites still talking about MBZs, which didn't help!

Thanks for clearing that up Bob! One less thing to learn

Time to create page: 0.090 seconds