Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× If you are studying for your BAK or PPL exams and need some help, please post your question here. Someone on the forum is bound to help you as soon as they can.

Practice exam questions

• Putney
  • Topic Author

Putney created the topic: Practice exam questions

Gday guys

Wondering if you can help me out on a couple of weather interpretations.

The answer is 2500AGL. Can you please inform me why it isn't 2000AGL with the BKN020 section?

Also

The answer is an alternate must be provided because there is more than 4/8 cloud below the alternate minimum. However I read this as 0400UTC being before 0601 (date/time?) and therefore should be CAVOK?

Thanks for your help

Chris

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Richard

Richard replied the topic: Practice exam questions

Hi Chris,

In your first question, there is a TTF thrown in to confuse you. A TTF supercedes the TAF but only for 3 hours from the time of issue. That means the TTF runs out at 0600Z and you need to go back to using the TAF. So, for an arrival at 0700Z, you will have SCT025 AGL in the TAF as the lowest cloud base.

For your second question, the FM kicks in at 0100 on the 6th. Therefore, with an arrival time of 0400 UTC, you are well inside the FM period. You will need an alternate because FEW + SCT, both below 1500 ft is equivalent to more than 4/8ths below 1500 ft. Don't forget the cloud layers are cumulative.

Ain't Met fun :)

Cheers,

Rich

• Putney
  • Topic Author

Putney replied the topic: Practice exam questions

Once again, thank you.

TTF is a new one for me, I'll store that in the old memory bank.

As far as the second one, I was reading the time as 0040 (1040am) which makes no sense at all now that I "say it out loud"

Thanks for the info

Chris

• Richard

Richard replied the topic: Practice exam questions

Hi Chris,

Make sure you read up on TTF's - they come up regularly in the exam. In a nutshell, the TTF or Trend Type Forecast is a short 3-hour forecast which the met officer may append to a METAR or a SPECI report. The report follows the usual format but in the RMK section of the report, after the RF (rainfall) information, there will be additional information which outlines the expected conditions for the next 3 hours. Because the TTF is considered extremely accurate, it supercedes the TAF while it is valid. It's validity period starts from the time of issue of the report.

Cheers,

Rich

Time to create page: 0.073 seconds