Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× If you are studying for your BAK or PPL exams and need some help, please post your question here. Someone on the forum is bound to help you as soon as they can.

ASA E6B help

• Hawk92
  • Topic Author

Hawk92 created the topic: ASA E6B help

G'day all,
I've got a few questions in regards to the operation of the E6B .
Can someone please help me out with the process of working out fuel consumption rates and mainly questions like as follows:
Problem
Given that: Dl = 28 nm, D2 = 52 nm and Prohibited Area 'Z' is from 0 to 6000 ft.

The aeroplane at A is on climb passing through 3000 ft altitude. If the climbing ground speed is 125 kt, select the minimum constant rate of climb required for a continuous climb on track to avoid Prohibited Area Z –

It would be much appreciated.
Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Bungee

Bungee replied the topic: ASA E6B help

wow, this old question was never answered, so I thought I would... I am sure it will help someone one day!

Firstly, the 'problem' doesn't ask for fuel flow, but if that is what you're trying to do, then put your hourly fuel flow (outside numbers) against the 60 minute marker on the inside numbers of your whizz wheel and from there you can read off the fuel burn for any amount of minutes you like.

As for the problem, this is asking you to work out how many feet per minute you need to climb to avoid hitting the prohibited area.
To solve this problem with your flight computer, if 'Z' is 28nm from your current position, and your ground speed is 125kt, first work out how many minutes it will take you to reach Z. Place 125 on the outer wheel on 60 mins (1:00 hour) on the inner wheel, now look at 28 on the outer wheel and the inner wheel will tell you how many minutes it will take at this ground speed (13.5 minutes) - because your at 3000' you need to gain 3000' in altitude to stay above the PRD. Divide 3000 by 13.5 and you will get 222 fpm as the minimum climb rate.

Cheers
Ben

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.083 seconds