Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× If you are studying for your BAK or PPL exams and need some help, please post your question here. Someone on the forum is bound to help you as soon as they can.

Altimeter Settings

• PG
  • Topic Author

PG created the topic: Altimeter Settings

I was looking for some understanding or advice on altimeter settings. On page 3.3.12 of the PPL book, it states "wind off pressure, wind off height" and "wind on pressure wind on height"
My confusion comes when you consider that pressure is reduced as you increase in height so shouldn't it be "wind off pressure, wind on height" ??? If you were flying with a QNH of 1010 and mistakenly set 1020 I was of the thought this would be lower than actual altitude.
Any help would be appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Richard

Richard replied the topic: Altimeter Settings

Hi PG and welcome to the forums!

"Wind off pressure, wind off height" is simply an aid to help remember the effect of changing the sub-scale setting on the altimeter and the "pressure" being referred to here is the pressure setting on the sub-scale.

For example, if you have 1010 set and then "wind off pressure" and set 990 instead, the altitude indicated on the instrument will have decreased by 600 ft. You have wound off pressure and the effect was you wound off height.

Similarly, if you have 990 set and now "wind on pressure" and change from 990 to 1005, your altimeter will have a higher indication, namely 450 ft more. You wound on pressure, so you wound on height.

Cheers,

Rich

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.090 seconds