Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× If you are studying for your BAK or PPL exams and need some help, please post your question here. Someone on the forum is bound to help you as soon as they can.

Great result with PPLA theory exam

• diesel pilot
  • Topic Author

diesel pilot created the topic: Great result with PPLA theory exam

G'day everyone

First post on the boards, would just like to share my background and recent experience with my PPLA theory exam.

I'm a diesel mechanic based in Perth (originally from England) in the process of making a long awaited career change to a commercial pilot. Like many I've always wanted to be a pilot from a young age but it wasn't possible until years later when I could afford the costs involved. After a couple of trial flights, first in an R22 helicopter and then in an old 152 I definitely developed a fear of landing and have been sold on a career in aviation ever since. I'll never forget the flight in the 152, the door blew open and we lost part of the window during a barrel roll. I had to hold them both shut all the way back to earth. Lucky I was already accustomed to an open cockpit from the R22!

I'm following the 150 hour syllabus and elected to skip the GFPT component in favour of obtaining the PPL instead (I can cost share additional flights outside of the syllabus to build more hours if I can fly more than a 10mn radius of the deprature ARP: no better way to explore WA in my opinion :). A move found unusual by some people enrolled in a commercial course but it works for me.

Due to full time work commitments it's only been possible for me to fly on the weekends at a rate of 1 lesson per week and fit study in after work and whenever else possible. It's certainly not easy doing it this way especially studying after 12 hour shifts at work but I consider myself fortunate to have the opportunity.

Anyway, I've pretty much used Bob's books exclusively for my studies due to their no-nonsense content and ease of reading. I also purchased the four practice cyber exams from the online store about a week before sitting my real exam which included the bonus TEM prep test. Just as well that was in there since I hadn't studied anything about TEM or HPL for that matter up until that point. Thanks Bob!

I ended up getting 95%, the highest result recorded in my flight school since they started hosting the PPLA exam according the owner. Needless to say I definitely pleased with the result!

In summary I highly recommend both Bob's BAK and PPL books together with his online practice material. Study these thoroughly and you'll have no difficulty in passing your theory. I look forward to continuing my journey towards my commercial license and will no doubt be using Bob's 7 CPL books for my studies.

Thanks for your time. Study hard and safe landings.

- Charlie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Re: Great result with PPLA theory exam

Giday Charlie

That's a bit unusual, starting your flying training in a Helicopter and then switching to a pedistrian old 152. Sounds like you've already got some good after-dinner stories to tell. Thanks a lot for your post. Richard and I are always thrilled to get feed back from students who found our material helpful. Richard is the power house behind all of the on-line material that supports the texts. You should be rightly proud of that mark for PPL, especially for home-study. Very few full-time students do as well as that - congratulations! Good luck with the rest of your journey towards CPL and remember we are here to help whenever you feel you need a hug!

Cheers

Bob

• Richard

Richard replied the topic: Re: Great result with PPLA theory exam

Congratulations on the excellent pass, Charlie - and on breaking your flying school records too. That is a very nice feather in your cap and means you can have that little extra bit of swagger around the clubhouse ;)

As Bob said, while you move on up through your studies, let us know how you are getting on and of course lean on us if you need any help. There's an excellent gang of pilots and pilots-to-be hanging around here and someone is always willing to lend a hand.

Good luck and soft landings always.

Cheers.

Rich

• diesel pilot
  • Topic Author

diesel pilot replied the topic: Re: Great result with PPLA theory exam

Thanks for the compliments guys :) I'll definitely keep you updated with my progress towards my CPL, and be back during those periods of much needed support!

Richard: Bob says you're behind all the online material. Fantastic job mate, I look forward to the next step with my CPL theory. Very user friendly and amazingly accurate compared to the real deal.

Bob: It certainly was a change moving from a helicopter to a 152! Before I started my flight training I wasn't sure in which direction I wanted to go - fixed or rotary wing. I organised a TIF in each type before making up my mind. As much fun as flying a helicopter is I ultimately decided on fixed wing due to cost and career options. I'm lucky to have a friend who at the time was a Virgin Australia Captain (now plays in the sandpit with EK) so I had a great source of advice and support at my disposal which allowed me to formulate a plan to start my flight training and give me an insight into the big bad world of aviation!

Once again thanks for making my theory training both educational and enjoyable.

All the best,
Charlie

Time to create page: 0.061 seconds