Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× If you are studying for your BAK or PPL exams and need some help, please post your question here. Someone on the forum is bound to help you as soon as they can.

PPL Practice Exams

• Icon
  • Topic Author

Icon created the topic: PPL Practice Exams

Hi all
I have just completed my first practice exam and scored 80% without really putting too much effort in (i.e while watching the Olympics, having a snack e.t.c). It took me about 2.5 hours to complete, with some of the wrong answers being due to not reading question properly, others because I need more study.

My question is how realistic are the practice exams compared to the real thing? I found the first practice exam to be fairly straight forward, can I expect the same thing in the real thing?

One point I am worried about is P charts weight & balance charts, although I am confident in their use I am worried poor penmanship will bring me down if there are any questions that require precise answers. will that be the case in the PPL exam?

Thanks
Con

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• FirstOfficerAnthony

FirstOfficerAnthony replied the topic: Re: PPL Practice Exams

I found P Charts at home were hit or miss for me. If you are confident that you understand the process and know how to derive answers from the charts, you can be rest-assured that the answers provided in the PPL exam are going to fair and within reason. i,e. Don't expect to be slapped with; 500, 520, 540 etc..

I was certainly quick enough to run through the charts at least twice before submitting my answer and the use of a ruler is always handy. If you are using the Bob Tait PPL supplement, you may find the linear charts difficult to read (I'm not sure if they have changed it), but the new VFR booklet has addressed this issue and it's much easier to use, so don't stress about your penmanship, you should be fine.

The same goes for ALPHA charts. Don't expect the answers to be unfair, they will certainly be within reason. Just ensure you are following the arrows and you know how to adequately derive answers from the chart. Unfortunately, CASA did not give me whole numbers or multiples. i.e Weights weren't multiples of 50, 70 or 40 (Curse them!)

The practice questions are fairly good at simulating the actual exam and the more of them you do, the more confident you will be. However, I wouldn't expect all the questions in the PPL to be straight forward, in some cases they will certainly challenge your understanding of the theory. If you have studied diligently, you will be fine. JUST ENSURE YOU READ THE QUESTION CAREFULLY!

I can't actually tell you how long the exam will take you. I used as much time as I could and it eventually paid off. (95% PASS last week!)

Good Luck!

P.S. I should of noted that the answers in the PPL exam for P Charts and W&B are going to be approximations, just as they are in they are in practice questions. .

• Icon
  • Topic Author

Icon replied the topic: Re: PPL Practice Exams

Thanks for your response. I noticed the examples given in Bob Taits exams didn't give nice easy multiples of 50 or 77 so any answers I gave were approximations. I was reading earlier that there a couple of mistakes in the day VFR booklet which I need to find and make a mental note of before the test.

I have booked my theory test for 2 weeks from today.

Congrats on your pass, should make it nice and easy on flying test day with KDR's (if you haven't already done it)

• BecLill

BecLill replied the topic: PPL Practice Exams

Hi

Just wondering if the answer is correct to question 12 in the CASA sample PPL exam questions on page 6.2

The question is: An aircraft with a maximum seating capacity of 6 is to be refuelled. Under which (of the following) conditions are ambulatory partners permitted to remain on board?

The answer in the text book is 'under no circumstances'.
But in CAO 20.9.4.2.3 it says:
The operator of an aircraft with a maximum seating capacity of less than 20 must ensure that fuel is not loaded on to the aircraft while passengers are on board, or entering or leaving, the aircraft.
CAO 20.9.4.2.4:
The operator of an aircraft with a maximum seating capacity of les that 20 may allow fuel that is not: (c) The passengers medical condition is such that be ie she cannot leave the aircraft without assistance.

So shouldn't the answer be (b), providing the fuel being loaded is not AVGAS?

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: PPL Practice Exams

It all depends on the definition of the word 'ambulatory'. An ambulatory passenger is one who CAN walk unassisted. A non-ambulatory passenger is one who is unable to walk without assistance and that is the one being referred to in the CAO.

• BecLill

BecLill replied the topic: PPL Practice Exams

Hi

Ok great thanks for that.

Bec

Time to create page: 0.069 seconds