Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× If you are studying for your BAK or PPL exams and need some help, please post your question here. Someone on the forum is bound to help you as soon as they can.

Bob Tait PPL Weight & Balance Q15

• FirstOfficerAnthony
  • Topic Author

FirstOfficerAnthony created the topic: Bob Tait PPL Weight & Balance Q15

G'day guys,

Just going through the exercises and on the very last question I run into a problem.

Q15 : How much luggage can be loaded and will the A/C remain in balance throughout the flight.

I've calculated just as the answers has suggested. i.e .1115 - 1019 = 96 However, once you add the fuel weight of 156 KG. The Maximum T/O weight is exceeded by 3KG. (1118KG)

"Check the loading graph - balance is OK."

I'm presuming that the answer is stating that the "balance is OK" for the flight, but considering it exceeds MTOW. Doesn't it suggest otherwise? Unless I have interpreted the answer incorrectly.

Anthony

P.S. I've just come to the realisation that the net weight doesn't necessarily effect the balance of an aircraft! Oh silly me. I've confused myself now.

Answer: Balance = OK Weight = Overweight.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Re: Bob Tait PPL Weight & Balance Q15

Until a few years ago, CASA used .71 for the specific gravity of AVGAS. They since changed it in ERSA to .72. The answer is correct when the specific gravity of .71 is used [153kg of fuel]. However it is 3kg over if you use .72.

Obviously in this question, the implication of that change had been missed. The current version of the PPL book has made the correction and gives the answer as 93kg of baggage.

Thanks for your feedback. Congratulations for spotting it in your book.

Bob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.103 seconds