Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× If you are studying for your BAK or PPL exams and need some help, please post your question here. Someone on the forum is bound to help you as soon as they can.

Engine Oil Pressure

• Claw
  • Topic Author

Claw created the topic: Engine Oil Pressure

Hi, I have come across a question in a sample paper for Pre Area Solo and cant seem to get a definitive answer. It relates to the time at which Engine Oil Pressure must reach its normal operating pressure ie.within the green sector. I know its of crucial importance that this occurs within a very short space of time, however the choices given in the answer are,
a. 30 minutes
b. 10 minutes
c. 15 seconds
d. 30 seconds

I would say that this should occur within 15 seconds but I am told that in older planes that have sat for some time that this could in fact take as long as 30 seconds or more. Is there a hard and fast rule for this situation. What would the correct answer be to this question.

Regards
Gary (Claw)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Re: Engine Oil Pressure

Lycoming have always suggested 30 seconds. If oil pressure has not reached the green within 30 seconds, the engine should be shut down.

Attachments:

• Claw
  • Topic Author

Claw replied the topic: Re: Engine Oil Pressure

Hi Bob,
Thanks once again for your invaluable advice.

Regards

Gary(Claw)

• brentonrule

brentonrule replied the topic: Re: Engine Oil Pressure

Hi Gary.

Bob is spot on as always, most a/c are 30 seconds.

The best thing for any new pilot to do is read and digest the Pilot Operating Handbook for each and every aircraft that you fly. There is always specific reference to these types of questions. It is like having a new car. Always good to be familiar with systems and procedures relative to that specific vehicle.

• Claw
  • Topic Author

Claw replied the topic: Re: Engine Oil Pressure

Hi Brenton,
Thanks for your back up advice. Its very much appreciated.

Regards
Gary

Time to create page: 0.154 seconds