Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× If you are studying for your BAK or PPL exams and need some help, please post your question here. Someone on the forum is bound to help you as soon as they can.

Variation and deviation

• Unusualattitude
  • Topic Author

Unusualattitude created the topic: Variation and deviation

Hi,
I got stuck on two questions regarding variation and deviation in the northern hemisphere.
1. If the aircraft true heading is 120 degree but the magnetic heading is 112 degree. What is the magnetic variaion?
Since I am in the northern hemisphere, the opposite rule applies. The answer is 8E.
2. A pilot maintain compass heading of 270 degree but the deviation in aircraft compass card is 5 degree east and the magnetic variation around is 8 degree west. What is the true heading?
Here is how I did it: 270+5= 275-8 = 267.
thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Re: Variation and deviation

Magnetic variation isn't like a compass turning or acceleration error. The rule for magnetic variation is the same for both hemispheres. Variation East - Magnetic Least and Variation west - Magnetic best is the same for both hemispheres.

East variation simply means that a perfect compass is measuring its direction from a point to the right of the meridian, so the magnetic reading will be less than the true reading wherever you are.

• Unusualattitude
  • Topic Author

Unusualattitude replied the topic: Re: Variation and deviation

Thank you very much. That explained a lot.

Time to create page: 0.086 seconds