Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× If you are studying for your BAK or PPL exams and need some help, please post your question here. Someone on the forum is bound to help you as soon as they can.

PPL learning and iPhone

• 1test7875
  • Topic Author

1test7875 created the topic: PPL learning and iPhone

Hi All,

Has anyone found any good PPL exam learning applications for the iPhone?

The main one I can find is "

PPL Facts
By The Great Circle
" with flashcards, Revision Facts JAA PPL ie European Based but still very informative (For $6).

Are there any Australian based ones?"

Anything you can recommend that you have used with the iPhone??

Thanks in advance

Anthony.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Richard

Richard replied the topic: Re:PPL learning and iPhone

Hi Anthony,

I don't know of any iPhone training software that is directed specifically at the Australian market but I did find this one for the FAA syllabus at Airline Pilot Apps . I don't know if it's any good though. It looks very similar to the one you mentioned.

If you find something, or have any reviews on some good programs you have tried, could you post them here? A few people have asked about iPhone apps for their studies previously and your feedback would undoubtedly help them too.

Cheers,

Rich

• 1test7875
  • Topic Author

1test7875 replied the topic: Re:PPL learning and iPhone

What would be the better one to get if i had to?
The American based one or the European based one?

I did find this list which may be of help to other pilots for iphone apps especially now with the launch of the iphone 4.

iPhone Pilot Apps

Maybe there is some money in it for an Aussie Developer.

Cheers

• Richard

Richard replied the topic: Re:PPL learning and iPhone

Bob would be the better one to answer on the differences between the two. I liked the JAA syllabus although in some places it goes into too much detail - especially in the higher level subjects.

The FAA one would probably be ok after all an aeroplane flies the same irrespective of the number painted on the side.

In any case, you'd have to watch out for differences e.g. Air Law (obviously), some features of Met ( like pressure systems rotating in the opposite direction up there) just to name a few.

Mind you, the FAA question bank is available online anyway so it might not be worth buying an app just for that.
Indeed. We've been approached about doing something like this but we are committed at the moment to the online school project. iPhone specific apps are something that may happen in the future but not until the online school is on its feet.

Thanks for the heads-up on the pilot apps.

Cheers

Rich

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Re:PPL learning and iPhone

Anthony

I've been surprised at the number of [usually younger] people who have expressed an interest in the iPhone option. At the moment there are no Australian versions that I have ever heard of. The Australian theory syllabus lies somewhere between the American and European versions. CASA expects much more deatailed knowledge than the FAA. You can think of the syllabus content as three different levels.

'Nice to know'.
'Should know'.
'Need to know'.

The FAA system is best described as a 'need to know' approach. They put far less importance on theoretical knowledge and more on the practical flight test area. The Australian approach covers all three of the above levels and therefore the learning programs based on the FAA theory requirements do not adequately cover the CASA exams.

I'm sure though, that any learning program from either America or England/Europe would still be of some benefit to a serious Australian student. As Richard has said we are in the process of creating an Australian on-line theory course and our immediate goal is to get that up and running. We may then consider the iPhone option.

Bob

• akaliz

akaliz replied the topic: Re: PPL learning and iPhone

www.dauntless-soft.com/products/GroundSchool/iPhone/ for iPhone and iPad.
Is US based theory but make necessary adjustments and use accordingly. This website also has checkride theory questions - but not for iPhone.

• Kristas

Kristas replied the topic: Re: PPL learning and iPhone

I'm sure though, that any learning program from either America or England/Europe would still be of some benefit to a serious Australian student. As Richard has said they are in the process of creating an Australian on-line theory course and their immediate goal is to get that up and running. They may then consider the iPhone option.

• 1test7875
  • Topic Author

1test7875 replied the topic: Re: PPL learning and iPhone

I think your response was 5 months too late

• brentonrule

brentonrule replied the topic: Re: PPL learning and iPhone

The whole idea of forums is that people share information - it is not about answering in 5 minutes. If this information is valid it doesn't matter if it is a year after the first post. It is still useful for others.

Time to create page: 0.098 seconds