Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL Performance question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

CFPA CASA Exam

• Thank you received: 0

BobTaitNo1Fan created the topic: CFPA CASA Exam

Hi all. Thought I'd throw in a few pointers for the people yet to sit the performance exam. I scored 94%. The CASA exam is very much like the bob tait online exams. Smash those out all within the time limit and you should be set. That being said the only problem with the online exams is the lack of Alpha and Bravo loading systems. As well as basic 1 marker questions. For those, I highly recommend getting plenty of practise from the actual performance book, especially with the Alpha systems.

The CASA exam consisted of:

4-5 Echo loading questions, ranging from 2-3 marks. The simplest of which made me calculate the new IU for a plane with all seats removed (except for the pilot seat)

2 Charlie loading systems, finding the CoG and max weight which could be added.

4 Takeoff and Landing charts, 2 Echo, 1 piper and 1 cessna. All type-ins.

10 1 markers ranging from ALA dimensions to endurance flying and extracting AIP ERSA info.

5 minimum fuel questions

2 PNR's

1 ETP

My biggest tip is to make sure you read the 1 markers carefully. Mr Exam writer has made them very easy to get wrong so it pays to read the question slowly and twice! Also, the PNR's are fairly straight forward. I personally didn't get an asymmetric PNR so I was very happy with that. Fuel calculation questions can be either PVT or CHTR so be very careful. For echo re balancing, if it helps you visualise the aircraft's current state, draw out the CoG envelop and plot on it. You will find it very simple to figure out if you can use the weight to add formula or not.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: CFPA CASA Exam

What a fantastic result! Congratulations, well done. Thanks for pointing out the benefit of working through the hundreds of routine "one-mark' type questions scattered throughout the book. Boring drill exercises but well worth doing.

Also, there is a great deal of detail in the PPL and CPL video lecture series for those who feel the need for extra consolidation.

Once again - well done.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BobTaitNo1Fan

• Thank you received: 0

BobTaitNo1Fan replied the topic: CFPA CASA Exam

Thank you Bob! Your materials definitely made the exam less daunting, though I do have one recommendation, in your performance book many questions are based off of the supplement with different fuel burn rates. I am obviously no expert on the entire question bank but I believe (as I've been told by many who've sat the exam before me) that CASA simply gives you a fuel burn rate for each question. Initially while doing the book questions I was baffled as to why I was getting many answers wrong- then I realised that when the question states- "for an ECHO airplane" the fuel flow is meant to be doubled? Therefore, a lot of PNR and ETP questions in the book for me where a hit/miss however the cyber exams were just perfect. Written almost exactly the way CASA writes them. So basically to sum up, whenever the next book update comes out I think it would be more beneficial to just have the fuel burns stated within the question. I hope I didn't come across as rude, the material is great, just a small adjustment I think would make it exactly like CASA's wording.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: CFPA CASA Exam

Thanks for the feed-back.

I am aware that CASA gives the fuel flow and TAS data in the question text. However, the reason I presented the fuel flow and TAS figures for various power settings in the supplement was that the syllabus says that the candidate should be able to extract data from performance publications. After all that is what the pilot would have to be able to do in the real world.

It means that students using the book would require a second step beyond what the exam requires. Given a particular power setting, extract the associated fuel flow. In the exam however, the fuel flow to be used will be given along with the other question data.

I may not have made that clear in the book. I'll include a note in the book pointing that out.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BobTaitNo1Fan, aalim21

Time to create page: 0.090 seconds