Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL Performance question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Ex 5.11, Question 5 - Hard Ballast and Fuel as Ballast, min fuel required

• frisina
  • Topic Author

frisina created the topic: Ex 5.11, Question 5 - Hard Ballast and Fuel as Ballast, min fuel required

Hi All,

Hope someone can help. In Ex5.11, question 5 (page 179 of the latest revision of Performance and Planning) asks for what is the min fuel required as ballast.

Details are:

BEW - 2005KG, IU 509.95
Row 1 - 160Kg
Row 2 - 150Kg
Row 3 - 130Kg
Nose - 45Kg
Rear - 100Kg

Going through the motions, I realised I could shift weight rather than adding to the nose. This got me a lesser fuel as ballast requirement to balance the aircraft. The answer I came up with in doing this, was incorrect. In the spirit of the exercise, you're asked to add weight to balance, then add fuel. With my CASA exam hat on, the question is asking for the MIN amount of fuel, so I would think that shifting from rear to nose is more appropriate in this situation, thus less fuel required.

Can some please check my logic here?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Ex 5.11, Question 5 - Hard Ballast and Fuel as Ballast, min fuel required

The question specifies that 'no change is made to the existing load'. The examiner has to make that statement, because there would be many correct answers if you could add, subtract or shift weight to place the centre of gravity at a specified position.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.213 seconds