Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL Performance question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Performance Exams

• stevepinnell89
  • Topic Author

stevepinnell89 created the topic: Performance Exams

G'day Guys,

Getting to the pointy end of this now,

Just wanting to double check the below answer, I feel like my answer should be correct as I have accounted for Taxi and start up, which I would assume you would as the question states 'fuel at start up' (I have been foxed by the old take off/start up thing a few times!)

Let me know team!

Question 22
Incorrect
Mark 0 out of 2
Not flaggedFlag question
Question text
Given:

Flight fuel required to the destination ..... 190 litres
Fixed reserve required ...................... 60 litres
Variable reserve ............................ 10% of flight fuel
Start-up and taxi allowance ................. 12 litres
Fuel flow for holding if required ........... 45 litres per hour

The aircraft whose flight planning details are given above has 350 litres of fuel at start-up.

The maximum time this aircraft could plan to hold at the destination aerodrome is closest to -
Select one:
60 min
110 min
90 min Incorrect
133 min
Feedback

To find the maximum holding time all you need to do is find the difference between the minimum fuel required and the fuel available. Convert this difference into time at the holding rate.

Minimum fuel required at start-up = 190 x 1.1 + 60 = 269 litres.
Fuel available at start up = 350 litres

Fuel available for holding = 350 - 269 = 81 litres.

@ 45 lph, 81 litres will last 81 รท 45 = 1.8 hours = 108 minutes

Closest answer is 110 minutes.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Stuart Tait

Stuart Tait replied the topic: Performance Exams

G'day Steve

What was your answer to that question?

Cheers

• stevepinnell89
  • Topic Author

stevepinnell89 replied the topic: Performance Exams

G'day Stuart,

As I took into account the 12 litres start up I chose 90mins, as it was 92 mins (I had the exact same process but the final calculation was 69/45 litres = 1.53
1.53 x 60 = 92

Im just looking to make sure that I am taking the taxi and run up into account if I shouldn't be, but from what I can tell it maybe a typo??

From my first 2 untimed exams from the online batch there have been 3 questions with the old 15% reserves in there but I understand there will always be a transition period so not too worried on that. Just hope Casa have it up together!

Cheers

• Stuart Tait

G'day Steve

You are correct it was a typo. we've been changing a lot of text and questions so it was bound to happen. I have amended the question to reflect that and all exam prep questions have been updated as of yesterday afternoon.

Cheers

• stevepinnell89
  • Topic Author

stevepinnell89 replied the topic: Performance Exams

Awesome thanks Stuart. Passed with 88% All 7 done now!

It was fine in the Exam in the end, just be careful as there were a few questions they asked on Private VFR and then also Charter questions, so if you are in autopilot or in the habit of adding the variable reserve this may catch you out.

Also there was a bizarre question that asked for the number rounded up to the next full number, and I think it was 20.015 for the answer, so it felt very weird rounding it up to 21 but according to the KDR got it right.

• Stuart Tait

Congratulations Steve

Great result all the best for the future

Cheers

• lucasgozzard

lucasgozzard replied the topic: Performance Exams

Hi Steve,

I'll be sitting my performance exam on the 10th Dec. Did the exam preps on here hold you in good stead?

Cheers.

Lucas.

Time to create page: 0.070 seconds