Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL Performance question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Runway Physical Characteristics

• neafie
  • Topic Author

neafie created the topic: Runway Physical Characteristics

Hi all,

I sat my performance exam today (I passed!), and thought I would share this question as it was something that I don't think I've seen before.

What are the physical charteristics of the runway 06/24 at Sunrise Dam, WA (YSRD)?

The multiple choice answers listed four options based on combinations of; concrete or asphalt, rigid or flexible, and subgrade strength.

I took my jepps in, so I thought, "I'll just look in the airport directory, if that don't have the answer, I don't know where to look" I had a look, but no obvious answer, so I ended up taking an educated guess (I guessed incorrectly)

Anyway, after getting home, I thought I would investigate more, so I looked up Sunrise Dam in the ERSA, and found:

PHYSICAL CHARACTERISTICS
06/24 059 64a PCN 27 /F /A /940 (136PSI) /U WID 30 RWS 150

Finding the key in the intro pages of the ERSA I was able to decipher the secret code to reveal
06/24 is the runway designation
059 is the runway bearing
64a the 64 part correlates to the runway length, and that little 'a' next to 64 means asphalt or bitumen!
PCN 27 is the Pavement classification number
/F means flexible pavement
/A means high strength subgrade strength

I'll stop the decipher there, cause it is now clear that the correct answer was that one that stated; asphalt, flexible and high strength

So the ERSA had the answer, but I didn't have an ERSA did I??

For those poor souls like me that are taking Jepps in, You'll find a similar (but less obvious) secret code in the airport directory. For Sunrise Dam it is
RWY 06/24 PCN 27/F/A/940...
You can then use the legend on page AU-7 to decode. Though it doesn't look like it states if it is asphalt or concrete. If anyone can find that, let me know

Michael

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.072 seconds