Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL Performance question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Fuel Calculations

• Fred1000
  • Topic Author

Fred1000 created the topic: Fuel Calculations

Hello Everyone,

I have read the performance book and so far I understand the majority of the formulas except a certain part on page 108 excersise 4.11. For example in question 1 you just take the flight fuel away from the total fuel whereas in question 3 you need to add the reserves to the flight fuel prior to subtracting it from total fuel. Reading a post in regards to echo loading questions Mr. Tait summed up when to use the load chart or flow chart etc which made life easier. I am just wondering if anyone has a simple way to know when to add reserves to flight fuel or remove from total etc.

Kind regards,

Fred :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 258

bobtait replied the topic: Fuel Calculations

The exercise you refer to is a drill exercise where you are given the flight fuel [the fuel you will actually burn during the flight] and you are asked to find the minimum fuel that must be on board at start up. In every case you use the formula Flight Fuel x 1.15 + 15 + 3 = minimum fuel required.

However, sometimes you may be given the total fuel in the tanks [when you dip the tanks before start up] and you may be asked to find how much of that fuel you can plan to burn during flight. In that case, you use the formula [Total Fuel on board - 15 - 3] รท 1.15 = Flight Fuel available.

When you want the minimum fuel required you take the flight fuel and MULTIPLY by 1.15 first then ADD the reserves and allowances.
When you want to know the flight fuel available given the total fuel on board you SUBTRACT the reserves and allowances FIRST then DIVIDE by 1.15.

• Fred1000
  • Topic Author

Fred1000 replied the topic: Fuel Calculations

Thank you very much for that clear explanation!

Time to create page: 0.078 seconds