Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL Performance question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Fuel in Weight and Balance Calculations

• Marymark
  • Topic Author

Marymark created the topic: Fuel in Weight and Balance Calculations

In all of my exam three mark questions which were to calculate the minimum fuel to be used as ballast they all quoted the amount of flight fuel.
ie "fuel for the flight 120kg".
I converted it to gallons for the min fuel required calculation before I did the load sheet.
But I was not sure if the flight fuel meant that it included reserves or are you supposed to include Fixed Reserve, Taxi and Start up and Variable Reserve.
What compounded my confusion was that it was a weight and balance question, but was not sure if it included the necessity for a fuel calculation as well.
Plus none of the examples we did in class or in the book introduce fuel into the equation.
Can someone please clarify.
Thanks heaps.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Richard

Richard replied the topic: Fuel in Weight and Balance Calculations

Hi Mark,

Sorry to hear the exam didn't work out for you and maybe we can help you if you want to post any problems you are having here to the forums. However, using minimum fuel as ballast is actually covered fully in the textbook and in the full time class.

Flight fuel is exactly that: fuel needed for the actual flight. It is the fuel that will run through the engines getting from your departure point to the destination. On top of that you will naturally always need reserves and allowances.

If they stated "flight fuel" then you need to factor in fixed reserve in any case and a variable reserve on top of that (assuming it is a commercial flight which it most likely is).

If they say the "minimum fuel required", then that value will include the reserves already.

To help you find the pages covering this material take a look at:
  • Flight fuel, reserves and margin fuel: page 4.20-4.21
  • Using fuel as ballast: pages 5.40 - 5.46 (which also includes an 11 question set of drill exercises on using minimum ballast fuel).

These topics are discussed in the course and are consolidated with homework exercises. Plus, there are more exercises on this in the exam prep you received as part of your course enrolment.

As a rule of thumb to help you: questions on using fuel as ballast can usually be solved using fuel alone but this is the wrong approach. The aim is to use "minimum fuel as ballast", so you need to add hard ballast first. This is done either until you reach the compartment limit or the ZFW limit for the Echo.

That usually improves the situation somewhat but usually not completely. The last C of G correction needs to be achieved with ballast fuel but since you have already used some hard ballast, the amount of ballast fuel required is minimised.

Check out those pages I mentioned, and if you are still stuck, just holler.

Cheers,

Rich

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.076 seconds