Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL Performance question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Climb gradient

• Kernowflyer
  • Topic Author

Kernowflyer created the topic: Climb gradient

Hi all.

I have a query regarding what I suspect was a trick question within the Performance exam (which I answered incorrectly).

An aircraft with a IAS of 110 and subject to a 15 kt headwind would require what ROC to achieve a minimum 3.2% climb gradient?

Now, I answered the question based on the information provided as it didn't state whether the aircraft was in a take-off or landing configuration. Should I have assumed the info was for an aircraft was in a take-off configuration? I guess so as I was incorrect and the calculation itself is not complicated.

Thanks, Rich

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Climb gradient

It really doesn't matter what configuration the aircraft is in. The climb gradient of any thing that flies, including ducks and geese, is a function of its ground speed and its rate of climb. In this case, in the absence of any information on pressure height and temperature, you can assume that the IAS is also the TAS. Therefore the ground speed would be 110 - 15 = 95kt. The rate of climb required would be 95 x 3.2 = 304 ft/min.

• Kernowflyer
  • Topic Author

Kernowflyer replied the topic: Climb gradient

Thanks, Bob.

I must have missed something within the question. I can't recall the exact wording.

Time to create page: 0.198 seconds