Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL Performance question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Performance on fuel variable reserve.

• CDGF
  • Topic Author

CDGF created the topic: Performance on fuel variable reserve.

Hi
Appreciate some advice on PNR calculation in the exams it's was mentioned as below

A day VFR charter flight
Alfa to bravo 480nm
Total fuel 300 litres
Flight fuel 110 litres
Taxi 15 litres

Fixed reserve to be calculated on cruise
Flues flow 20 lph

The distance to PNR from a ? In this it's not mentions about variable reserve 15% do we calculated the fix or just go based on the fixed reserve only.

Also in weight and balance if it's not mentioned EKO or and just said that it's a VFR charter should we still calculate the 15% valid able reserve or if it's not mentioned

Really appreciate anyone's help please .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Performance on fuel variable reserve.

The examiner does not have to say specifically whether to use a variable reserve or not. If he says it's a charter, then you should always carry a variable reserve. The exam preamble says that you are to assume that your operator has chosen to comply with the requirements of the CAAP. So all charter flights should carry a variable reserve.

Bob

• CDGF
  • Topic Author

CDGF replied the topic: Performance on fuel variable reserve.

Dear Mr.Bob

Many thanks for your kind assistance i guess i got knocked on this one as it was not mentioned i was confused weather i should add 15% or not the CAAP regulation did not click me now i know why my weight and balance + PNR was wrong.

Also the fuel ballast calculation aircraft empty weight & moment was given and as follows

row1............pilot and passenger
row2............two passengers
row3............160kg
rear.......5pack of 30kg eac

5kg bars of hard ball last available & requesting to find the minimum ballast fuel & ("Fuel required for the flight 120gal") is this fuel required for the flight term has anything to do with finding minimum ballast ? it was there in a few questions on ballast.

• Richard

Richard replied the topic: Performance on fuel variable reserve.

Hi CDGF,

The fuel required does need to be considered when looking at the loading calculations for the aircraft but that fule required cannot also be used for ballast. Ballast fuel is really dead weight in the tanks and can't be burned. With a question where you have hard ballast available and you want to find minimum ballast fuel required, your best bet is to try and solve the balance problem as much as possible with the hard ballast first. That way you will only need a minimum of ballast fuel to get the CofG back inside the envelope.

Cheers,

Rich

• CDGF
  • Topic Author

Hi Richard,

Thank you very much for the advice on this one,

Does this mean that the fuel required should be calculated before finding minimum ballast fuel and check if the aircraft is within the CG?

regards
cdgf

• Richard

Richard replied the topic: Performance on fuel variable reserve.

In this particular style of question they are not going to ask you to calculate fuel required and then work out minimum ballast fuel. Those two activities are testing separate areas of knowledge. The fuel required is going to be irrelevant anyway since min ballast fuel exam questions are invariably going to be where the aircraft is outside the aft limit at ZFW.

So, in this situation you can either:
- fix the problem with hard ballast only
- fix the problem with ballast fuel only
- fix the problem with a combination of both.

If you use hard ballast alone, you will most certainly find you either bust the max ZFW limit or the compartment limit (i.e. the nose locker). You could solve the problem with ballast fuel alone, but the problem wants minimum ballast fuel so that is not an option.

The last solution is going to be the most likely situation in the exam.

First, you will move the CofG forward as much as possible with hard ballast up to either the compartment or ZFW limit then look at how much ballast fuel you need to bring the aircraft the rest of the way to the aft limit. Once the problem is solved at ZFW, adding the fuel required for the trip is only going to move the CofG forward anyway so who cares ;)

Cheers,

Rich

• CDGF
  • Topic Author

Hi Rich

Many thanks for the detail explanation this helped me so much to get my problem solved with regard to the ballast questions good some more extra practice exams online which I will be doing today so will follow this and will keep you update on how I go with the exams.

Many thanks again

Cheers

• CDGF
  • Topic Author

Hi Rich & Bob

Thank you very much for your kind help and advice on my questions i sat the exam today and got though with 80% had some definitions and three calculations that i should have a review.
But thank you for your help i did self study with the Book & got the online exams which really helped. Just one more to go Air Law.

As every one say the major one is to **READ THE QUESTION**

Thanks again Cheers..

Time to create page: 0.090 seconds