Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL Performance question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

'Make Me Good at Performance' Questions

• captainellzy
  • Topic Author

captainellzy replied the topic: Re: 'Make Me Good at Performance' Questions

I just finished the Final Exam (actually the first time I've done it :blush: ) from the Perf book and got 70%.. finally, a pass, but thats not enough margin for error as far as I'm concerned. Hey at least I'm on the right track, booked exam today for 10/12.

Just a quick mention. Q38 (Issue 4, May 2009) asks for obstacle free gradient for runway 23 (no runway 23 at Deniliquin), but the answers give it for runway 12, which is there, but in current ERSA (18/11/10), if I've got the right number it's 3.25% ?? Please explaiiiiin :lol:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Richard

Richard replied the topic: Re: 'Make Me Good at Performance' Questions

Sounds like you're making good progress with your performance preparation Ellzy.

I suspect that question needs updating. In my copy of the Perf Textbook the question does ask for Runway 12 and I checked in an old ERSA and found that the obstacle free gradient for runway 12 at Deniliquin is indeed listed as 1.2%.

However in the latest entry for Deniliquin in ERSA the gradient for RW 12 is now listed as 3.25%. Someone must have put in a new building somewhere :)

Extra credit: Assuming the building was 300m away, how tall must it be to necessitate the increased gradient?

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Re: 'Make Me Good at Performance' Questions

Ellzy

You are correct. The obstacle-free T/O gradient for Runway 12 at Deniliquin is 3.25%. I remember changing that in the cyber exams, but for some reason it hasen't been changed in the book. I'll make sure it is changed in the next print. Thanks for your feed-back - it is much appreciated. I have a good feeling about your next attempt at this subject. I'll be thinking of you....

• captainellzy
  • Topic Author

Rich... eeeeeeerrrrrrrrmmmmmmmmm 160m tall? There was some logic in my working, but I'm sure I did it the verrry long way around. I'm not really good at 'finding x' haha.

Thanks for the well wishes :)

• Richard

Richard replied the topic: Re: 'Make Me Good at Performance' Questions

Not quite Ellzy... here's my working:

Warning: Spoiler! [ Click to expand ]

By the way, I don't think there's questions like this one in the exam but getting your head around the concept of gradients is important for later calculations e.g. rate of climb required etc. And those ones are examined as far as I am aware.

Can you confirm that Bob?

• captainellzy
  • Topic Author

Not quite?!?! Haha only 150.25m out! Negligible :P

No wonder I'm failing by so much! If I had thought about it a bit longer I'm sure I would have got it, eventually.

Here's something I know for sure, if I fail this attempt by just 1%, I can't resit for 28 days, the date at which I could sit it again would be 7/1, which obviously means I can't get my CPL, which means I can't go ahead with the instructor rating course I'm booked in for, which means I won't get another chance til May!! Funny how it all comes back to 1%.

Oh my I think I just had a huge wave of realisation come over me :S

Nah she'll be right mate..

I can assure you that the exam will not contain questions like that. Although Richard's question is a test of the depth of understanding the principles involved, CASA is more likely to stick to the pilot's perspective of confirming the required gradient is being achieved by reference to the VSI.

After all you're not likely to have to go to the Catholic Church people and tell them that their steeple is 'X' metres too high and can they please do something about it.

Keep having fun!!!!

• zulugurl

zulugurl replied the topic: Re: 'Make Me Good at Performance' Questions

Make that a huge wave of 'determination'!

Third time lucky - go for it!

PS: I passed on the third attempt! ;)

• captainellzy
  • Topic Author

Bought the practice exams the other day, just did the first one and got 80%, do a couple more over the weekend and hopefully improve on that figure and be right as rain for next Friday.

Cheers

Go Ellzy..You an do it mate!!

Time to create page: 0.152 seconds