Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL Performance question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

help me with this question please

• red01
  • Topic Author

red01 created the topic: help me with this question please

question
Refer to page 18 of the work booklet.

The following data refers to a charter flight in an Echo aeroplane.

Weight of empty aircraft plus the pilot..........2109 kg
Fuel on board at take-off..........................300 litres
Flight fuel to first intended landing..............110 litres
Fixed reserve.........................................15 gallons
Taxi allowance.......................................3 gallons
No passengers are to be carried.

If there are no limitations imposed by runway lengths, the maximum weight of baggage [ignoring balance] that may be carried is closest to -
Choose one answer.
521 kg
320 kg
480 kg
629 kg

please give me a detailed working of how you got the answer. urgent help needed

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: help me with this question please

There are no imitations imposed by runway lengths. That means as far as the departure aerodrome is concerned you can take off at 2950kg.

However you cannot land above 2725 and you are going to burn 110 litres [78kg] of fuel on the flight. That means you cannot depart above 2725 + 78 = 2803 kg or you will not be able to land.

The maximum zero fuel weight for the Echo is 2630kg. If you loaded the aircraft to 2630 and then added the 300 litres [213kg] of fuel you would be 2843kg at take off, so that would also not allow you to land after burning the 78kg of flight fuel.

Therefore the maximum take-off weight permitted on this flight is 2803kg - you are landing weight limited.

The maximum cargo permitted therefore would be -

2830 less all of the fuel you are carrying [213kg]. So you weigh 2590kg without fuel.

Now take away the weight of the pilot and empty aircraft [2109kg] that leaves 481kg for payload.

You are carrying no passengers so all of that weight can be cargo.

Answer 3 is correct.

• red01
  • Topic Author

red01 replied the topic: help me with this question please

could i know as to why the taxi fuel and fixed reserve is given in the question? to solve the question none of them is needed?

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: help me with this question please

It's not uncommon for a question to contain unnecessary information. It's up to you to determine what information is necessary. In the real world, there is a great deal of information available that you often don't need for a particular solution. In this case, the flight fuel is given, so there is no need to consider the reserves or allowances.

Good luck with the exam!

Bob

Time to create page: 0.077 seconds