Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL Performance question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

I passed!! Some info on the new exam system

• brook
  • Topic Author

brook created the topic: I passed!! Some info on the new exam system

Hi All,

Passed my final CPL theory test today Performance.!! :woohoo: Thank you to all who encouraged me on this one and Bob and Richard in particular for creating a teaching system to jump the hurdle. This was good as I had trouble sleeping last night (probably as its the last exam).

I got 3 hours sleep so if I can do it in that state then you can do it as long as you prep well.

I found Performance and Nav to be the hardest subjects to study, but the exam for performance seemed easier but required you to move quickly on the calc. Performance was harder to study than Nav in my opinion, but the exam was easier. Thanks Bob and Richard to going to all the trouble of making a computer based system that sheds light on different aspects (practical aspects) of the application of this stuff in real life. That made it more useful.

The new computer systems are in and appear not to offer all the same exhibits as the old one did, but here are some of the examples of exam type questions worthy of considering. They are slower to print your results and also slow between clicking next on questions.

eg TORA is 800m ADSA is 850m. With a displaced threshold of 80m from the runway end, would this give a LDA of 720m or 770m LDA?

ACFT takes off with flaps down - is takeoff distance reduced or greater, and climb out faster or slower?

Speed at which you should only operate ABOVE in stable smooth air Va, Vno, Vb etc

Know your vspeeds well.

Get good at moving fast on echo and allowing for adding fuel into the mix as flight fuel (on top of ZFW) as well BEFORE ballast (solid) and flight fuel.

The Pcharts were easier than I had thought because i took my time, and also its worthy of note that it pays to double check the KG to lbs and double check your slope % as well as its easy when drawing to get 2 and 1.5 % mixed up from the last question, and as always helps to draw the RWY's also with a slope on them in the direction and double check its the right direction.

We did most of the charts one from each, its just time and accuracy intensive.

Remember you can use the flowchart method for all loading questions EXCEPT the ones that involve forward c of g AND adding or removing weight which you do on the printed c of g envelope often by adding weight, redoing the new moment and then extrapolating a line out.

Yes you need the formula for forward limit variable if over 2360kg then you do (present weight - 2360) x 0.27 + 2400 and need to know that at or under 2360 kg then its just 2400mm.

Couple of PNR and ETP questions, no single engine return ETP's though. Most of them involved converting the distance into minutes and minutes into distance..

The biggest thing is time - I only just ran out of time on the last question, but had a couple of others earmarked for visiting again but ran out of time.

I think the main mindset to have during the exam is plough on, fast and accurate on calc for echo and loading, remember the formulas ( I might scan my handwritten formula sheet up for what its worth - it helped me but I didn't get time to write it out again in the exam.

The succeed or die mindset will mean you don't slow down but keep going consistently despite the pressure and go right up until the end when the time is getting close, you never know what a few extra points will do!

Good luck all with this one, and onwards on upwards, now i can prepare for the flight test!!

See you in the circuit, or in IREX at some future time!

Brook

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• CANCEL SARTIME

CANCEL SARTIME replied the topic: I passed!! Some info on the new exam system

'Succeed or die mindset'

That's the most truthful thing about that exam. I passed mine yesterday and as that timer hit 00:00:25 I thought my heart was going to shoot out of my chest and through the window. That was my cardio workout for the day! But you're right in saying that you must power on because those last few points could mean the difference between pass or fail.

• Neville75

Neville75 replied the topic: I passed!! Some info on the new exam system

Congrat's Brook, I had everything crossed for you, hopefully I will be as successful in a fortnights time when I sit Performance. Thanks for the tip about the time thing, sounds like I'll need to get a wriggle on.

Nev

• brook
  • Topic Author

brook replied the topic: I passed!! Some info on the new exam system

Welldone Sartime! That was an exam for sure. I know what you mean with the heart beating, I was in the middle of my last question and the timer went off my heat beat sure went up, and the examiner was sure not in a hurry to get my results which made it go up even more!

I went out and got the IREX book today (I hear Richard and Bob both Groaning ;-) wow we must like the pain ;-)

• brook
  • Topic Author

Thanks Nev - I'll be thinking of you! I'll scan my cheat sheet I put together before the exam and upload when near scanner. Good luck with that one - I just added one more tip to the original post, and I will edit any more I can recall!

• brook
  • Topic Author

Hi Nev,

I tried to upload the PDF but it wouldn't be accepted by the server, If you send me an email to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. then I can email it to you.

Brook

Time to create page: 0.078 seconds