Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL Performance question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Index units in relation to aft limit?

• Steve M
  • Topic Author

Steve M created the topic: Index units in relation to aft limit?

Just a point of confusion re a cyber exam question

An Echo is loaded so that its total moment index is 14.1 index units inside the aft limit.

The maximum amount of cargo that may now be shifted from the wings to the rear compartment is closest to -

97 kg (correct)
110 kg
155 kg
80 kg

After going through the book and other enquiries, I can't get a start on this as I can't start a flow chart without aircraft weight etc.

I could try a few things with the C of G being 14 mm inside the rear limit (ie 2666) but with an index unit, I can't work it out. I keep thinking that I need a weight and/or a start point.

Any ideas?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Re: Index units in relation to aft limit?

Steve

When you multiply present weight by CofG shift required you are actually finding the moment change required. So if the examiner gives you the moment change required, he has done that multiplication for you. All you need to do is divide by the difference in compartment arms. An alternative formula to find weight to shift [when you don't know the weight], is:

Weight to shift = Change of moment [in kg/mm] / difference in arms.

To work the example you have given.

Weight to shift = 141000 / 1450 = 97 kg.

See the working for Question 5 on page 5.83 of the Performance book.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.081 seconds