Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL Performance question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

TOW chart type 1 page 2 of supplement

• brentonrule
  • Topic Author

brentonrule created the topic: TOW chart type 1 page 2 of supplement

Hi Richard, I am going back through the CPL Performance book as a revision exercise prior to the exam. I was going to highlite this the first time I saw it but anyway, better late than never hey?

Page 3.18 Question 1 Progress Test Topic 3 asks for Max TOW.

Please see attached and you will note that my answer is 1060kg whereas your answer is 1035kg.

I cannot see where I have gone wrong. Can you please check this for me and advise.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Richard

Richard replied the topic: Re: TOW chart type 1 page 2 of supplement

Hi Brenton,

You can relax, your working is totally fine. The problem is at our end (EDIT: not quite - please see next post).

There is a subtle difference in the TOW charts in the supplement and that used in the answer workings. Compound that with the fact that CASA has a slightly different version in it's Day VFR syllabus book as well! This is something we're aware of and as far as I know, Bob has already started streamlining the questions that use these sheets.

The answers don't vary by much (e.g. your 1060kg versus answer of 1045kg is only 15kg) but it is enough to be confusing sometimes and it feels "untidy".

In the meantime, the most important thing is that the steps of your working correspond to the steps in the answer. That means using the right reference lines, the correct slope direction, wind etc.

By the way, if you don't have a copy already, you would be very well advised to pick up a copy of the Day VFR syllabus as this is the one you will be provided in the exam. You will have seen it in your other exams already. You can get it at at most pilot supply stores or via the online store . The booklet usually costs about $15.

Cheers,

Rich

• Richard

Richard replied the topic: Re: TOW chart type 1 page 2 of supplement

Just one more thing...

On closer inspection, just double check that line from the short wet grass to the slope. You're horizontal line starts somewhat above the point of intersection with the reference line for short wet grass. If you correct that line downwards a little, you're answer will be closer to the correct result.

If you don't use one already, cartridge pencils are great for accuracy in these charts.

Cheers,

Rich

• brentonrule
  • Topic Author

brentonrule replied the topic: Thanks

Again, thanks Richard. It is easy to see how several people have commented that they got these questions wrong in CASA exams. Anyway, onwards and upwards hey?

Time to create page: 0.136 seconds