Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL Navigation question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Roy's Orchards

• baddles
  • Topic Author

baddles created the topic: Roy's Orchards

Hello all,
I'm following Bob's wise advice to get to know the airspace charts well in preparation for the CNAV exam.
One thing puzzles me:

On the Sunshine Coast VTC there is an area just north of Bribie Island (S 26 52, E 153 07) labelled "Roy's Orchards" (in capitals). See the image attached. The area is a rectangle, about 2 x 1 nm, filled-in with closely-spaced diagonal line shading. The label and the shading are drawn in the same purple colour and font that is used for VFR reporting points. As far as I can make out, this is not a VFR reporting point and is not mentioned in ERSA, etc.

What should I make of this? Is it just a feature for reference in visual navigation? Or are there airspace restrictions? Could it be a 'check point when requested by ATC' (mentioned on the chart legend)? It's disconcerting that the chart legend doesn't help.

This is one of the charts required for the exam.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Qfly

Qfly replied the topic: Roy's Orchards

It's just a feature for visual navigation, mostly used by aircraft inbound YCDR (Caloundra) from the south. Treat it like a reporting point inbound on the YCDR CTAF (125.85). I'd also doubt that ATC would ever really ask you to "report" at this feature, more likely the VFR approach points and/or check points north of this feature. There are also no restrictions over this feature except that you can go up to 4500ft without a clearance, and 7500ft just north of it. Also note it has the danger area D629C from the SFC (surface) to 3500ft in that area.

Hope this is helpful :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.184 seconds