Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL Navigation question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

CNAV Question

• CptKramer
  • Topic Author

CptKramer created the topic: CNAV Question

Hi, i just have a question i wish to clarify from my CNAV exam. It went a little something like this.

a/c is at 2000ft. There are no navigation tolerances, aircraft is to commence a continuous climb from OCTA to 8500ft from what distance.

I was a little stumped due to the wording, it was a type in question so i wasn't prompted on which it was asking for. I calculated the distance to commence to remain OCTA. I think the question 'no navigation tolerances' was meaning the minimum distance to reach 8500 regardless of airspace but i am unsure.

Could anyone clarify?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: CNAV Question

I'm afraid I can't give you much help with the information you have given. I'm sure that question would have related to a diagram. Can you remember what the diagram looked like?

• CptKramer
  • Topic Author

CptKramer replied the topic: CNAV Question

Apologies for the lack of information, the diagram that was used was figure 29 from the VFR day workbook. The question in reference to FIG 29 would have been, you are at x at 2000ft and there are no navigation tolerances, the aircraft is to commence a continuous climb from OCTA to 8500ft from what distance. I cannot remember the FPM or TAS which from memory was given..

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: CNAV Question

The key to this is to realise that the critical point in the climb, if you wish to remain OCTA, is the end of the 6000ft step at 50nm. The climb from 6000 to 8500 has nothing to do with the calculation. So base your calculation on the distance required to climb from 2000ft to 6000ft. Subtract that distance from 50nm and you have the starting point for the climb.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: CptKramer

• CptKramer
  • Topic Author

CptKramer replied the topic: CNAV Question

Darn it, i may have over complicated this question in its wording. Better luck next time now i know my deficiencies

Time to create page: 0.153 seconds