Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL Navigation question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

meteological report

• domcheung
  • Topic Author

domcheung created the topic: meteological report

Can anyone tell me how far (nm) we need to travel from a departure aerodrome must I get a metrological report before departure.
e.g.. if I am travelling to another aerodrome which is only 20 nm away , do I need to get a metrological report ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: meteological report

According to AIP GEN 2.2 (definitions) Page 15, "in the vicinity" means within 10nm of the aerodrome.
According to AIP ENR 1.0 para 1.1, you must get a forecast if you are leaving the vicinity of the aerodrome.
Therefore, any VFR flight of more than 10nm must obtain a forecast, and any IFR flight must obtain a forecast regardless of the distance.

• Richard

Richard replied the topic: meteological report

G'day Domcheung,

Bob has already answered your question but I just wanted to highlight there is a difference between a "report" and a "forecast". You mentioned requiring a meteorological "report" but the regs actually require obtaining a meteorological "forecast". It's a trivial point but watch out for it.

Cheers,

Rich

• domcheung
  • Topic Author

domcheung replied the topic: meteological report

Thank you Bob and Rich for your quick reply.
The next question I would like to ask is about turbulence
Can you point out the operational significance of mild turbulence and sever turbulence in a weather forecast
I have difficulty in getting it from AIP

Time to create page: 0.080 seconds