Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL Navigation question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Intercepting VOR outbound to inbound

• Spinrecovery
  • Topic Author

Spinrecovery created the topic: Intercepting VOR outbound to inbound

I am trying to visualize in my head where I am and where I want to go but I am not sure if I completely understand the concept of intercepting.
For example, If i am on a radial 090 outbound and I want to intercept a radial 210 inbound which is 030 outbound, so I turn left because it is the quickest to intercept.
Do I have the right idea here?
Cheers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Richard

Richard replied the topic: Intercepting VOR outbound to inbound

Almost. Radials are named according to the direction they are radiating out towards.

The 090 Radial is "radiating out" to the East. The 210 Radial is radiating outwards from the station towards the South West. The 030 Radial is "radiating out" from the station towards the North East. The 030 and 210 Radials form a line which passes through the station as they are 180 degrees apart from each other.

If you are tracking the 090 radial outbound, you are heading East. If you are tracking the 090 Radial inbound you are actually heading West - but you are still on the 090 radial.

So, if you want to intercept a track of 210 degrees back towards the station, you would indeed turn left to intercept, but you wouldn't be intercepting the 210 radial inbound, you would in fact be intercepting the 030 radial and tracking the 030 Radial inbound. The actual "210 radial" is on the other side of the station from you and you won't reach it until you cross over the station.

Cheers,

Rich

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.094 seconds