Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL Navigation question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

CPL NAV exam

• RobH
  • Topic Author

RobH created the topic: CPL NAV exam

I have Nav exam booked for the 21st and have two questions that I'm hoping someone can answer for me.

Q1) I have been advised to practice some density altitude from pressure altitude type calculations, however while studying your book Bob I haven't found any such calculations in there. is that because they are not featured in the CPL Nav exam?

Q2) I have been told that there are a number of unit conversion type questions in the exam also. looking at the list of equipment allowed in the exam room, I noticed electronic calculators are not allowed. are unit conversion charts allowed or do we have to remember all possible combinations of unit conversion?

for example I was given a sample question something like:
5,000 feet is equivalent to:
a) 16,400 m
b) 1,524 m
c) .75 nm
d) .83 stat miles
I'm guessing a question like that could take a little time to work out without a calculator or conversion chart, I don't think the wiz wheel does a feet to conversion, OR DOES IT?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: CPL NAV exam

I've never heard of density height questions being asked in a Nav Exam. That is usually covered in Performance.

The best way to do the conversions is to look up ERSA CON. See below. 5000 feet is 1524 metres

Attachments:

• RobH
  • Topic Author

RobH replied the topic: CPL NAV exam

Thanks Bob, that has put my mind at rest I will save swatting up on density height calculations for the performance exam (my little brain can only absorb so much at one time) and its nice to know the ERSA is on the list of permitted material. I had looked up the list on the CASA web site but somehow I had only printed out half the list. Thanks for the reply and the books, I find them easy to understand and set out in a very logical order.
Cheers,
Rob.

• RobH
  • Topic Author

RobH replied the topic: CPL NAV exam

P.S. I first took one of your nav courses back in the mid 80's at the tender age of 17, I was going for PPL back then. if I recall it was held in one of RQAC's rooms at Archerfield. It has taken me 30 years to decide to go for CPL, nice to see we are both still here. :)

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: CPL NAV exam

Yes, in those days I was operating at the Royal Queensland Aero Club. Things sure have changed since then. Good luck with your study.

Cheers

Time to create page: 0.144 seconds