Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL Navigation question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

calculate rate of climb required

• pannier
  • Topic Author

pannier created the topic: calculate rate of climb required

Can anyone with a problem regarding figure 28 pg 35 day work booklet?
X marks the position of acft (BTW..how is it at 4500 if in an area marked ll 4000?)

travelling at 120kt (or 2nm/min), needs to reach 9000 without infringing LL of various CTA.

at 200 fpm, will reach 5500 @30 nm, and then, 10 min later, will reach 50 nm @ 7500.
Diagram doesn't seem to show where 9000LL starts so not sure if this is the right approach

Any suggestions?

Many thanks

George

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Re: calculate rate of climb required

George

I haven't got the actual question in front of me, but there's something wrong if it says the aircraft is at 4500 ft and is intending to remain OCTA. I suspect that the question should read that the aircraft is in CTA and wishes to maintain the protection of CTA during a climb to 9000 ft. In that case, it would have to be at 6500 ft by 30 nm. [To have the protection of CTA, you need to be 500 ft above the lower limit since aircraft at the lower limit are not considered to be in CTA]. If you can find me the actual wording of the question I'd be grateful, because if it is as you describe it, it needs to be changed.

Bob

• pannier
  • Topic Author

pannier replied the topic: Re: calculate rate of climb required

Dear Bob,

This was question in one of the practice cyber exams.(My 2nd exam undertaken, last night) I Do not recall the exact wording, but I do perhaps remember the word "protection' being mentioned.

This may explain my confusion, since I thought the question meant that the acft had to stay under the CTA steps, rather than stay above by 500 ft. I didn't understand the word "protection" in that sense. Do now.

Again, thanks for your help and for finding time to answer these slightly inane questions. You must find it astounding that such confusion exists!

George

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Re: calculate rate of climb required

I have checked your exam and that is what the question was asking. You are actually in CTA at 4500 ft, and you are asked to climb to 9000 ft 'maintain the protection of CTA'. So you have to climb from 4500 ft to 6500 ft in the next 10nm [you are presently at 20 nm and the 6000 ft step is at 30 nm]. You have to gain 2000 ft in 5 minutes [10 nm @ 120 kt]. So ROC required is 400 ft/min.

Good luck with your study.

Bob

Time to create page: 0.062 seconds