Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL Navigation question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

RMI Example

• sydpilot
  • Topic Author

sydpilot created the topic: RMI Example

Hi Bob,

Can you please explain the workings of the RMI example on page 5.23.

This is my working but I'm not sure if it is correct.

FPT = 080.
HDG is 070. RMI is 55. 15 deg deflection. So this is 15 deg left drift.
If there is 15 deg left drift, to maintain FPL of 080, I would have to fly 095.
Intercepet by 30 degress is 80+30 = 110.

Will the exam have questions like this one?

Thank you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: RMI Example

Firstly, there will be no questions on the RMI in the exam, mainly because it is so simple to read that the examiners can't think of a question to ask.

An RMI is simply an ADF needle that floats over the face of the DG. Whatever indication the needle gives is the actual magnetic track to or from the station. If you read the point of the needle, that will be the magnetic track that will take you to the station. If you read the tail of the needle, you will get the magnetic track from the station.

There is no need to any mental gymnastics, the RMI indicates the track to/from the station directly.

• sydpilot
  • Topic Author

sydpilot replied the topic: RMI Example

Thanks Bob. One more question for you.

The solution on page 5.31 to Example 2 reads..

"By the way, the HDG to fly after the intercept to maintain FPT would be the original HDG of 160 M with the TE applied ie. 160+5 = 165."

I followed the method below if it is correct.

HDG to fly after intercept = HDG at X (170) - TE (5) = 165 M. Since I will truning left to maintain the FPT.

Will combining radio nav and 1 in 60 be tested?

Thanks Bob.

Yes, 165 would do the trick. No, there are no questions in the CPL NAV exam on combining the 1-60 rule with the ADF or VOR. You can expect questions to be limited to determining the track to or from the station when you are given the heading and ADF reading. Or, determining the ADF reading when you know the track to or from the station and your present heading.

Bob

• sydpilot
  • Topic Author

sydpilot replied the topic: RMI Example

Thanks Bob.

One more question. How would you approach a question like the one below?

If track is 140M and HDG is 135M, what should a fixed-card ADF indicate if you are on track from your departure AD.

My answer is 185.

According to the 'HAT TRICK', Heading +/- ADF = TRACK. So in this case, 135 +/- something = 140 from. The ADF would read +5from. i.e. 185 relative. Your answer is correct.

Time to create page: 0.083 seconds